Manual transcriptions

Hello :smiley:

Lately, I’ve been thinking about my high school days, I used to have great grades, and an easy time studying. When I had to prepare myself for ‘x’ test, basically, I was manually re-writing every piece of information from my notebook about the future coming test , And I would study from my ‘new’ version of my own notes.

Making a manual transcription of my own notes really helped me.

So, right now I realized I’m struggling to remember things like the exact order of symbols like " , . : {[(=; "

In order to work on it, instead of trying to remember by reading it tons of times, what do you think of manually typing code? For example, taking a random portfolio code, and re write it by myself, not copying it, just writing it down again with my own hands in order to interiorize the knowledge.

Do you think is viable-efficient-worth it?

Apologies if you find mistakes on my English writing, its not my native language.

Thanks in advance ! :slight_smile:

I really don’t see value in memorizing code. Ultimately, the way to get good with code is to make lots of things with code.

1 Like

So, as long as I understand the concepts, is it okay if I cant pass the challenges until I put the {} in the correct place (even if it takes like 10 tries) ?

Thanks for the reply :smiley:

Yeah, I guess some people remember better by typing.

Will retyping someone else’s code help? It makes me think of the greats of classical music that recopied the works of masters to really get into them. And the jazz greats that transcribed and memorized the solos of their idols. I remember reading about Picasso spending hours in the museum copying the works of El Greco and such.

But I think coding is different. I think it’s more about the higher ideas. What you should be more concerned about rather than specifics of syntax is learning the ideas. 1) No one can memorize all the specifics about coding. 2) They are really easy to look up.

I reading through someone else’s code can be good. Dissecting someone else’s code is good, too. But retyping? I’m not seeing that.

I will say that when I was learning, I did do a lot of typing along with tutorial videos. That is a little different I think because the point of that is to see the creation process.

So, right now I realized I’m struggling to remember things like the exact order of symbols like

I think that just comes with time. The ones you need the most, you tend to memorize, by accident because you are using them. The more you use something the more it sticks. If you encounter something that you don’t remember, you look it up. (Seriously, one of the things beginners don’t realize is how much time pros spend googling things.)

Apologies if you find mistakes on my English writing, its not my native language.

Your English is fine. If you hadn’t said anything, I might not have noticed.

So, as long as I understand the concepts, is it okay if I cant pass the challenges until I put the {} in the correct place (even if it takes like 10 tries) ?

Can you do it from memory on the 11th?

I mean, I have things that I have to look up all the time. I can never remember which is which, slice or splice. I have to look them up every time - because I don’t use them much. If I used them a lot, they’d stick in my memory.

I would say not to worry about it too much. Just code and keep learning.

One thing I will say is that I used to keep a notepad next to my computer. I would write down things that I wanted to learn better. Maybe I’d put down “object destructuring” or “flex box”. Then, some Saturday, when I had some time, I’d pull out that list and spend a little time on a topic or too. That way I wouldn’t have to stop my flow of learning but could still make sure I didn’t feel like I was letting things fall through the cracks. But the funny thing is that often by the time I got back to the list, I’d already learned the thing, just through using it.

Relax. Just learn. If you can’t remember the syntax for extending a class or doing getter or doing a for...in, that’s OK. You can look it up. And if you use it enough, it will stick in your memory. So don’t worry so much.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s a thing, when I’m reading through someone’s else work, and im really trying to understand it, its amazing how that work starts feeling familiar, so I can see that being very useful

Yes, I need to keep advancing, I’m so hyped about trying my own projects on JS, but its a long course compared to HTML / CSS, Im really looking forward to integrate JS on my projects!