Merge plus tracking source?

Update: Just writing this out for you guys & gals has given me the clarity I needed! I’m adding a field for “source”, will merge the 2 lists and duplicates will have the merged orginial changed to “both” or something, then every other object will have it’s source attached.

================
Original questions.
I may be making this way harder than it is, but I have two sets of information in an array of objects, some of them are the same and some are only in one of the two lists.

Each array comes from a different back end source (eg. like a product manual and a client handbook). As edits are made to one, they may not be updated in the other.

Going forward we’ll implement a system to avoid this but at present here is what we want to do:

Create a merged list of all the objects, and update each source.

unfortunately it’s not oas simple as copying the merged list to each source, or even pulling the lists from a single source, due to different software being used for each.

Updates will have to be made manually once the items are identified. So I just need a way to merge them then tag the items that only appeared in one list but not both.

Ideas… assign each object a counter value of 0, and if that object already appears in list A, assign it a value of 1, if it appears in list B assign it a value of 2. Or something like that?

Then I could filter for counters of 1 and use that to update list B. And vice versa to update A.

Does that make any sense?

This is for an outside project but seemed like a good algorithmic puzzle to me. Again maybe I’m overthinking this…if there is an obvious faster way to do it, let me know!

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.