Mobile First Design for Certification Projects

Before i start designing every project, I do some research to find some inspiration. So, while i was passing an eye to the forum for some inspiration for the tribute page, i find out that a big part of the campers don’t apply a responsive layout as they first priority on their project, so the campers/moderators have to remind them to apply it as an observation (and i think that’s a subject that shouldn’t be remind it).

I think that applying the Mobile First design philosophy to freeCodeCamp in the “Responsive Web Design Principles” section, we will ensure that the campers always take as a priority applying a responsive layout to their projects.

I’m pretty new on this awesome community, so i’ll try to leave my grain of sand every time that i can in this journey (hope that it will end up in a beatiful beach xD).

I agree that this is the best way to implement design and I’m not sure that FCC emphasizes it enough. But I’m also guessing there are those who don’t think it is written in stone and there are other ways that work just as well.

Also, I don’t refer to it as mobile-first anymore, I use narrow-first instead. Mobile-first puts too much emphasis on phones and people start thinking that they need to tailor their designs to specific phone types instead of letting the content dictate the design. Just narrow your browser as skinny as it will go and start your design there. Then you can gradually widen your browser and add break points as needed as you have more view port width. The important thing here is that the content dictates where the breakpoints occur, not the pixel dimensions for various phones.

I’m not gonna lie I used to do the “Mobile-First Design” the way you told it, because that’s the way I do it while wireframing. But now that you mention the Narrow-First Design, I’ll do it that way, for the reason that you don’t know what technology with a different screen size will come.

For example, if you release a Website with the “Mobile-Fist” before September of the last year you leave behind devices like the Samsung Galaxy Fold that came days after and have an smaller screen size than the average when folded.