My first website for a local charity

please tell me as helpful you can be or even critical about this site - I want to keep progressing on my work… THANKS!

https://www.maidenheadstrokeclub.co.uk/

1 Like

I think you can edit the photos so they will have a smaller size (easier to load).

1 Like

Great job, clean and to the point.

As for improvements you might consider:

• Lazy load and reduce the quality of the photos like @jenrodrigues pointed
  • Add a title to the page, right now is called “document”
  • Add a favicon
  • I assume you didn’t have access to the photo with a transparent background, if that’s the case maybe switch the white background for the header so the logo is “one with the page” and use the current header colour as the body background
  • After opening an option like “donating” i can’t close it again so I have to scroll and find another tab, make it so it can be collapsed again
  • Links section if you have permission add the logo of each website with the redirect or just the name of the institution instead of the url which when clicked opens a new tab like it already happens
  • Keep the photos with the same size, on mobile it “jumps” when you’re clicking between them
  • Increase the font size, is a bit difficult to read with a 0.8rem, 1.5rem seems more comfortable
  • Header menu in mobile is vertical, when you could keep the icons side by side same as on desktop
  • There are some JS errors when opening chrome dev tools you can check them, they make the loading of the page block

Those are pointers, possible improvements and some are just based on “taste” so don’t let it discourage you in any way, you did a good job and both you and them should be proud of it, keep building and improving :smiley:

1 Like

WOW… just checked the website and i must say it’s a beauty… though i don’t know much yet about the nits and gritty of a good website but i like what i am seeing… Great job man:+1:

sorry for the late reply, but thank you for your feedback! Because it is a charity group aimed at the ages of 55 and over I had to make things bigger to read and see such as images and fonts. However, how can I edit the carousel photos to smaller sizes so it’s easier to load??

Thank you for your helpful feedback tips and sorry for the late reply. Because it is a charity group aimed at the ages of 55 and over I had to make things bigger to read and see such as images and fonts. However, how can I edit the carousel photos to smaller sizes so it’s easier to load??

You can use already made compressors online to lower the file size of the images.

One such website is this one and it lower most images you have to around 1MB or less (instead of 4MB).

Also, when replying in the forum to multiple people you can do a single reply and just use “@” followed by the person name that way we avoid repeated posts :smiley:

@daspinola

thanks again for the helpful tips! https://www.maidenheadstrokeclub.co.uk/

check the website again and see if it’s better this time. I uses an image compressor for all my images to make the page load faster… however, I would like another person opinion on this, but does it seem better? should I now change the size and width of each image to make it much better?? let me know please

The images are way better to load now.

You can check what can be improved by, in chrome browser, doing “right-click->inspect->select ‘audits’ tabs->select performance” and run an audit, it will test your website and give you a report of potential improvements.

The main bottleneck you have as for speed right now is the javascript errors that you can also check with the inspect.