My Repertoire App

I’ve been thinking the idea for this app for quite a long time. As a jazz musician, repertoire is important. Unlike a lot of musical genres, for jazz, the set list is decided on the fly. A professional jazz musician is expected to know hundreds of tunes, preferably from memory.

What I found is that I tended to practice the same “fun” tunes and there were a lot of tunes that I didn’t practice and didn’t get played much so I tended to forget them. The idea of this app is basically a fancy to-do app. You have a list of tunes. When you practice a tune, you press it and that time gets logged. The list is sorted with the tunes you have not practiced in the longest time at the top.This way, I can more easily keep all my tunes practiced.

Take a look at the app:

Right now it is just local, stores the values in the browser memory. My plan is to allow the creation of accounts and sync across instances, and eventually a mobile version.

It’s built with React, Redux, Redux Saga, and Bootstrap. It’s hosted through AWS so it’s a chance to learn that environment. (And a chance to do some React since I’ve been doing React Native for the last several years.)

Have a look. Try it out. Let me know if you have any thoughts.

1 Like

i like it :clap: :heart:

sounds help full :heart:

atho when you click on the home about setting it kinda moves the other links its kinda distracting

1 Like

And if we have any musicians out there who want to beta this, that would be helpful, too.

1 Like

that is a preatty neat concept! I don’t have any intruments at the moment, let me see if I can find some testers…

1 Like

I look at this and I wonder about extending it to include, for example, ChordPro diagrams for songs. Doing so, when a song is selected for practice, a basic view (like, for example, http://ukegeeks.com/songeditor) might display the song with chord charts or tab riffs).

Absolutely beautiful, clean, great options. I really like this one!

Yeah, that kind of gets beyond the intention of the app. First, I was thinking more about jazz/classical musicians working on repertoire - they don’t use chord diagrams or tabs, even the guitar players.

Also, it’s really about maintaining the repertoire, not keeping a library of music. The idea is to really learn the piece so you can throw away the sheet music and then maintain your repertoire. This is different than how rock/pop players tend to approach things, having a rotating set list of 30-50 tunes. Jazz musicians are trying to learn 200-500 tunes.

I was thinking about maybe adding the ability to link to an outside pdf and/or audio file (local or remote). But again, that’s kind of getting away from how I am envisioning this app to be used. As a gigging jazz and classical musician for 25 years, this is the app that I wish I had. When I talk to other jazz and classical musicians, this is what they like to here. Perhaps it is a niche market, but I’d rather focus on doing that well. After that, maybe I’ll think about expanding it out. I’m really building the app that I want.

But who knows, maybe in the future. I just have priorities before that: remote storage, mobile version, maybe some practice feature for rudiments like scales, etc., some kind of account system, et al.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.