My Tribute Page - Themistocles

Hi all!

I’ve just finished my tribute page about Themistocles.
To be honest, he’s not my favorite guy, but he was a smart guy :slight_smile:

I’ve used a parallax effect from a tutorial that I recently read. There’s info on codepen’s javascript panel if you want to read about it.
The image is a painting by Wilhelm von Kaulbach. I’ve sliced it in Photoshop but it didn’t end up as I wanted.
Apart from that, the page is really pretty simple. No libraries whatsoever. I’ve used only the Google Maps API which, basically, is “copy/paste” code.

That’s all.
Looking forward to read your comments, constructive criticism is encouraged and welcomed.

PS. It may take some time to load the images. They are approx. 4MB. Sorry for that :frowning:

Well, that certainly smokes the tires off of my little rinky dink tribute page! xD

Seriously though, this is pretty awesome work. The parallax effect works out really well and is impressive. Good color scheme, easy on the eyes etc. The only place I noticed could use a touch would be to nest the Google Maps bit in a div or something so it’s not just running from edge to edge. It feels like it’ breaking up the page, rather than being a ‘part’ of the page.

Great work here! Very inspiring! How long did you spend doing this page?

-Jeff

Hey Jeff!

First for all, thank you very much for your input.

I wasn’t sure about the parallax, cause I have only one screen to test it.
As for the Google Maps div, taking all the space, it was intentional. I wanted something to break the “document” flow, cause otherwise it would have looked more like a word document or something. I didn’t foresee the downside of this, so I have to reconsider.

All and all, it took me 2 days to complete it. Not much the code per-say, but the research, planning and Photoshop part was time consuming.

Again, thank you very much :slight_smile:

This is so cool. I definitely have a long way to go.

Love the parallax. Great effort!