Need a help writing CV

Hi to all,

I have a problem with writing my CV. With no previous work experience and no college education (went to college but dropped out), what is there to put?
Should I say “none”, “partial” (this may make me look bad?) ?
Or just delete those sections from template?
Or just put gymnasium as my education?

I have my portfolio page and while you’re here, you can also give me some feedback. msimicshauma.github.io/portfolio

Thank you!

Since you have some projects to show against your name, it is better to list them first, and in the education part, you could include the time duration you attended college - it is still better than just listing gymnasium. It is always better to state it since the recruiter is going to find out about it anyway and in the domain of software, dropping out can be overshadowed if you have good projects that display required skills for the job.

Feedback on the portfolio page:

1. There’s no back button on the pages, so I need to use the browser to go back.
  2. On the home page, it would be useful if you expand the summary about yourself to one-line - it gives a good overview of what you do without divulging the details. For example: “Front-end Developer with X,Y,Z skills with experience on AB projects”
  3. It is better to give a button - anything on the home page that tells the user where to click. After I landed on the home page, it is not obvious that I have to click the hamburger menu - I scrolled as a first instinct.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Thanks for reply! :smiley:

1. About the back button, the idea was that you click on the menu again and select your page.
  2. I will add some text later.
  3. Do you think I should just write “menu” instead of putting the hamburger menu button?

CV part
Maybe something like this:
name, mail, phone number, something about me

Projects:
website for company …
to do list
wikipedia search
random quote generator
etc.

Skills:
-skill1
-skill2
etc.

Education:
2014-2017
Partially attended faculty of organizational sciences

Anything else? I don’t really know what else to write. In my opinion, shorter resumes are better?

Initial feedback on your portfolio

1. Love the clean, minimalist design.
  2. I think it’s better if all pages are combined into just one page to make it easy for the readers.
1 Like
  1. I think specifying “MORE” would make more sense than “MENU”

CV:

In the CV too add an “Overview” in the beginning where you mention the line which summarises about yourself. (Note, that this depends on the country - for example in Germany you would have to preferably include a photo and provide the details as a timeline; so I recommend you try and check what’s the commonly followed format for the companies you are applying to).

Education:
Attended the Faculty of … between 2014-2017

Add language you speak

Name, Email, Region and phone number at the top

Photo, if applicable

Something like this?

About photo, I don’t really know. Nothing is stated. The company seems cool and they said they will accept candidates with different levels of knowledge so I saw it as a good opportunity. I’ll send the CV on Monday, probably PM you with the final version to tell me what you think. :slight_smile:

Thank you again!

Yes, that’s what I had in mind.

And sure, send it across.

I just watched a video that answers some of your question. Hopefully it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-wcvLiTYX9U&t=596s

1 Like

Hi Milos,
may I also give some advice? I’ve been making research about German an American resume. And wrote some articles about it. See here: https://jaroslavplotnikov.com/article/

Besides, there is a resume making automatic service on XING. See here: https://lebenslauf.com/

I hope it will help you. Feel free to contact me if you have specific questions while writing your best resume. Good luck! Jaroslav