Need feedback for my portfolio website

Hi, I need feedback for my portfolio website :smiley:
https://vinyap.com/

Thanks for your time in advance.

1 Like

Wow! I love everything about the design and functionality of the website!

1 Like

I’m usually pretty picky, but I mostly like this.

I would also want an About Me section. You can get more info about yourself in a context like this than you would in a resume. Give a brief summary of your coding journey.

I would also want want a Contact section. I see the mail thing, but what if they don’t have a mail client set up? Why not give them your email and open up if they press it? What about a phone number? A linkedin page?

How about a downloadable resume/CV?

I’m not a big fan of CSS tricks, like your undulating background - it makes me think that they think that is impressive - that might make me roll my eyes a little if I was a hirerer. But what you have here is subtle enough that it didn’t bug me that much.

Even without the About Me section, I would want some kind of an introduction, below the title, just a few sentences - what type of work you are looking for, where you live (or closest major city), if you’re willing to relocate or work remotely.

Your i18n - first of all, I love that you did that - a lot of beginners skip that. My only complaint is that once I switch to Japanese, the controls for the i18n also switch to Japanese - if I want to switch back to English, I have to guess.

I might suggest using more colorful technology icons - I would want the splash of color. But I don’t know, maybe that is the effect you are going for. And I am bad at design so feel free to disagree with me.

But still, it looks good. I would suggest getting a few backend/fullstack apps on there, and maybe make sure a few of them aren’t the same apps everyone else is making. For that matter, why not have the code for this portfolio site?

But still, I like a lot of what is going on here. Good work.

1 Like

Thanks! if there’s any suggestions feel free to add, it would be a great input for me :smiley:

First of all, thank you! :smiley:

I would also want want a Contact section. I see the mail thing, but what if they don’t have a mail client set up? Why not give them your email and open up if they press it? What about a phone number? A linkedin page?

You’re right. I will add the contact section. As for LinkedIn, I know a lot of people are saying that is important but, first of all, I’m not active use of social media unless it is for work or friends. Second, somehow I feel people are judging too heavily from their LinkedIn or other social media profile. But if putting a LinkedIn profile can higher up the chance then I’ll put it.

How about a downloadable resume/CV?

I’m thinking to make a resume page, do you think it would be better? or a simple link to download is enough?

I would also want an About Me section. You can get more info about yourself in a context like this than you would in a resume. Give a brief summary of your coding journey.

I actually had it and removed it because I’m really bad at writing :sweat_smile:
But I know that’s something that I should improve on.

I would want some kind of an introduction, below the title, just a few sentences - what type of work you are looking for, where you live (or closest major city), if you’re willing to relocate or work remotely.

I’ll try to work on this for now because it’s more to the point than writing a medium-long paragraph for the about me section.

My only complaint is that once I switch to Japanese, the controls for the i18n also switch to Japanese - if I want to switch back to English, I have to guess.

Got it. I was purposely doing it that way because I was assuming people that don’t understand Japanese will not open that page, and to make it easier for Japanese I changed the button text to complete Japanese too.
I will change it to detect the client language and show the text accordingly.

I might suggest using more colorful technology icons - I would want the splash of color.

I deliberately add a grayscale filter to the icons because I want to make it more subtle and only when hovering it the filter will be removed (back to the original color).

But I don’t know, maybe that is the effect you are going for. And I am bad at design so feel free to disagree with me.

I’m also bad at design. When I see other people’s portfolio with very modern design and animation I really wish I have their creativity :laughing:

I would suggest getting a few backend/fullstack apps on there, and maybe make sure a few of them aren’t the same apps everyone else is making.

Noted! I will, and planning to add them gradually. I don’t have any idea for that right now, if there’s any suggestion please let me know :smiley:

why not have the code for this portfolio site?

I actually really want to do this. Do you think it is okay to add it to the projects section? Or maybe add a little note on the footer along with the link to the source code?

As for LinkedIn, I know a lot of people are saying that is important but, first of all, I’m not active use of social media unless it is for work or friends. Second, somehow I feel people are judging too heavily from their LinkedIn or other social media profile. But if putting a LinkedIn profile can higher up the chance then I’ll put it.

Is your goal to stand by your personal convictions about social media or to get hired? Yeah, I wouldn’t worry about other social media, but for some hirers, linkedin can be important.

I’m thinking to make a resume page, do you think it would be better? or a simple link to download is enough?

I mean, you portfolio page is basically like a resume. If you want to expand it out with other things that go on resumes, that can work. I still would want a downloadable version, in case they work that way. Our job is to make it as easy and comfortable as possible for the hirer.

I actually had it and removed it because I’m really bad at writing :sweat_smile:
But I know that’s something that I should improve on.

OK, but you can have people proofread it.

I was purposely doing it that way because I was assuming people that don’t understand Japanese will not open that page,

Right, but if they do by accident, they are trapped. The pulldown text should always contain the language name in their own language - people who speak Swedish, know how the name “Swedish” looks in Swedish. They don’t necessarily know how it looks in Mandarin.

I deliberately add a grayscale filter to the icons because I want to make it more subtle and only when hovering it the filter will be removed (back to the original color).

Yeah, I see that now. I still would prefer it the other way, but not enough to “insist”.

I’m also bad at design. When I see other people’s portfolio with very modern design and animation I really wish I have their creativity :laughing:

I mean, really, the design is pretty good. It’s just not what I’d choose. And I’d rather have what you have than some of the “modern design and animation” that I see that I find over the top, sickening, and lacking taste.

Noted! I will, and planning to add them gradually. I don’t have any idea for that right now, if there’s any suggestion please let me know :smiley:

Well, of course, FCC has an API section. But there are a lot of choices for backend languages. As to projects, it doesn’t matter much, just build things. They want to hire you because you can code, not because you are good at coming up with project ideas. I would just make sure to have at least one big one that is entirely your idea, start to finish. It doesn’t have to be a terribly original or useful idea, just not a code-by-numbers tutorial or a curriculum project.

Do you think it is okay to add it [this portfolio] to the projects section?

Sure, absolutely. I did.

1 Like