Need Help to Compile Sass from Ruby?

Recently I started using SASS by compiling it from ruby. I watch the video on how to compile it. I can only compile it exactly how it said on the video but I can’t do it if I have to do it in my own way.
I am dealing with is that I just followed the instruction whatever the video said about, but I didn’t understand the working mechanism of the code which the video told me to do for compiling which is given below.

I didn’t understand what does exactly * scss:css * do.
I searched about it on google and there aren’t many results about explaining it. Here’s one I found but didn’t understand it too.

Capture6

Need to explain how you’ve set this up and exactly what you mean: how can you get it to convert Scss -> CSS exactly as shown in the video you’re watching but then not be able to do it again? Need a bit more information as to why you’re stuck.

Also, why are you using Ruby here – what year is the video you’re looking at from? The compiler was originally written in Ruby, but the most common compiler used for Scss hasn’t used Ruby for a long while now (years), and it’s not generally recommended to use the original compiler.

I am new to programming don’t know much about it. It’s been like a month since I started using Html and CSS. By the way, I am currently using my old pc with a low spec which doesn’t support many compilers, so ruby was the one that supported my pc and thought to use it rather spending a lot of time for searching others.

And about the problem, I am dealing with is that I just followed the instruction whatever the video said about, but I didn’t understand the working mechanism of the code which the video told me to do for compiling.

I didn’t understand what does exactly * scss:css * do.
I searched about it on google and there aren’t many results about explaining it. Here’s one I found but didn’t understand it too.

Capture6

Is there anything you help me with or suggest to do?

--watch means the program will watch that folder, it will keep running until you tell it to stop.

If you create or edit a file with the extension .scss in the folder you’ve specified it’ll convert it to a file with the extension .css.

If you left off the --watch then it will just run once, and you’d have to run it again next time you made a change.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.