Need Tribute Page Clarification!

I completed the challenges for HTML and CSS and the next in line is to build a tribute page. I am not sure I am ready for this because I haven’t even started and I’m already confused about the requirements of this project. The instructions say: " You can use HTML, Java Script and CSS to complete this project. Plain CSS is recommended because that is what the lessons have covered so far and you should get some practice with plain CSS. You can use Bootstrap or SAAS if you choose."
My first question to help me clarify is why the instructions even give a choice to use a platform or other computing languages that haven’t been covered in this course?
My second question is why do the instructions only recommend using plain CSS and not HTML too? Don’t I need practice in both?
My third question for clarification is the instructions also say to use like 5 different ids to build my page. I thought I just learned that the id attribute is unique and should only be used once per page?
I appreciate any feedback on the above issues. It’s a very good possibility that I could have missed something along the way and this is the reason for my confusion on this project.

HI @kimberly197351 !

For these projects you will use html and css.

What they mean by plain css is not a library like Bootstrap.

The same Id names should not be used more than once but you can have multiple ids with unique names in a html page.

My first question to help me clarify is why the instructions even give a choice to use a platform or other computing languages that haven’t been covered in this course?

Presumably it’s just to allow people to have fun with it if they happen to know the tools. (More experience/learning.)

My second question is why do the instructions only recommend using plain CSS and not HTML too? Don’t I need practice in both?

HTML is a markup language, CSS is a style sheet language.
The instructions are saying for styling, it’s recommended to only use CSS. For the markup language you’re still welcome to use HTML.

You should be using HTML and CSS. I think it’s discouraging the use of SASS, for example.

My third question for clarification is the instructions also say to use like 5 different ids to build my page. I thought I just learned that the id attribute is unique and should only be used once per page?

The value of an ID should be unique. All elements can have an ID though, so long as they’re different IDs. The following is perfectly valid for example.

<div id="id-one"> <!-- #id-one -->
  <div id="id-two"> <!-- #id-two -->
    Hello, world!
  </div>
</div>

(I see when I started typing it already got a reply, but sending anyway. ^-^')

1 Like

Thank you very much. I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions. I am really hoping I can actually do this. My confidence level isn’t very high but that’s only because I need practice to build it up. I have to keep reminding myself that everyone who learns to code has a beginning and I’m not the only one! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Just take it slow and if you have questions you can research and ask the forum. :grinning:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.