Need video tutorial

This is unfortunate and/or frustrating! These ‘major’ comprehensive challenges really need to have a video that walks through one or more answers. But, especially, walks through how to read/interpret and break down the question/challenge to enable learning the analytic thought process in approaching. It is unfortunate, that when they get more complicated no video or if a video, it’s very limited and/or incomplete. I have been working through the JS basics section, it gives effectively a single question or practice exercise on each topic but then throws a large comprehensive problem and I am then starting all over again at ‘notation’ cause i am obviously NOT getting it enough if i can’t move on…

**Your code so far**
// Setup
const recordCollection = {
2548: {
  albumTitle: 'Slippery When Wet',
  artist: 'Bon Jovi',
  tracks: ['Let It Rock', 'You Give Love a Bad Name']
},
2468: {
  albumTitle: '1999',
  artist: 'Prince',
  tracks: ['1999', 'Little Red Corvette']
},
1245: {
  artist: 'Robert Palmer',
  tracks: []
},
5439: {
  albumTitle: 'ABBA Gold'
}
};

// Only change code below this line
function updateRecords(records, id, prop, value) {
return records;
}

updateRecords(recordCollection, 5439, 'artist', 'ABBA');
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/101.0.4951.64 Safari/537.36 Edg/101.0.1210.53

Challenge: Record Collection

Link to the challenge:

Following a video doesn’t actually teach you how to solve problems on your own. It only teaches you how to copy other people’s solutions. You certainly can go search YouTube if you wish to practicing typing other people’s code though. There are tons of walk throughs to help you get stuck in Tutorial Hell.

Knowing the solution to this one challenge is actually pretty useless. Figuring out how to break down the problem and develop and debug a solution is the relevant skill. And that’s where the forum helps. You start and get stuck. We help you get unstuck without giving away the answer.

This stuff is hard. Manipulation of nested objects is a good measure in my mind for how ready a junior developer is. It is a hard task. Struggling is normal. But the only way is through. I have honestly never seen someone get good at problem solving by watching videos of other people solve problems. It’s like baseball. You get good my trying, making mistakes, trying more, discussing form with others, trying more.

All that said… So… Where are you stuck on understanding the instructions? That’s the first step, and it’s a big first step in this challenge

1 Like

Hey @sirLizard , congratulations on your progress so far. I also struggled a lot with the JS section and know how frustrating it can be. And it’s true, the difficulty increases a lot.
@JeremyLT already answered most of it. If you still can’t make it take a look at this text that explains how to solve a problem, if you search, you’ll find various others.
Also, consider taking a few days to digest the newly acquired knowledge or checking other sources. I have MDN open all the time when I do web development. This JS course from the FCC channel helped me a lot too.
Besides that, tell us more about what you’re not understanding, what exactly is not clear to you?

Hello, thank you for your reply. Yes, I know copying the ‘solution’ is not helpful. As I noted, more importantly in my mind is understanding the question and understanding how to break the question down, i.e. thought process. and, yes a video walking through thought process can be helpful…at least more helpful than no video and just straight solution. Ultimately, I want to improve my thought process and be able to break down the “math word problem” in oreder to code a solution. Additionally, yes, I would love a video that helps in that regard and also helps compare/contrast when there are two or more distinct code approaches. as it stands, out of the blue the answer could include some regex type thing or conditional ternary… which is interesting but not explained at that point. As a curious person I then spend loads of time trying to understand the ~alien type code/answer that hasn’t been covered to date… etc. Anyways, I appreciate you and everyone taking the time to respond. I just get frustrated and don’t feel my progress = learning, so I keep starting over again on step one, ‘notation’ and trying to work back.

I think I am/was just overwhelmed out the gate at the question. I am feeling frustrated that I am overwhelmed and not breaking the problem down or able to basically piece apart the old algebra “word problem”… I am just frustrated that my mind isn’t grasping this appropriately/effectively. just frustrated. I am starting over and will just try to grind back to this point… I just feel not retaining or not combining/putting it all together. Thank you for taking time to reply and I will definitely look at the links you provided.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.