New-ish here reviewing topics, saying Hello!

Hello! My name is Miriam,

I’ve been studying wed development for about 1.5 years now and started with freeCodeCamp and then started using some Udemy courses. I found the combination helpful. I’m back here though going through the modules again while I’m learning React to let the basics of CSS and vanilla JS sink in some more . I took a break from studying and coding projects after feeling discouraged after my last interview . I had to find a ‘whatever’ job in the mean time and have finally found some energy to start up again

I’ve had two interviews and felt that I was still too unprepared to perform as best as I could in them (I KNEW the answers but I couldn’t recall the words under pressure), especially the live coding. I think my lack of reaching out to other people on this journey was the downfall for me, because I am basically learning in a bubble. Once I had to get on a zoom call and start talking about code I found I was really struggling.

So, here I am saying hello as a starting point to try and change that and also I would love any suggestions from people who may be good at networking and building relationships online. Is there a slack/discord group anyone recommends? I am at about a beginner-intermediate level and could probably help out someone just starting out which would in turn help me learn too!

Anyways, thankful for FCC and wishing you all happy coding!

Miriam

1 Like

Hi, Miriam. My only advice is to look for issues on here that you can help people solve. It’s a chance for you to talk about the code because you’ll be explaining the reason why something isn’t working, how it can be fixed, why something works or doesn’t work, etc. (Be mindful though that it’s preferable to try and lead someone to the answer if you can, rather than giving answers outright. If you get to that point in a topic then you can use the blur feature to hide the answer.)

1 Like

I agree that this community is an excellent place to get comfortable talking in a combination of jargon and straightforward English (or any of the other languages currently supported by the forum). Learning how to explain a complex idea clearly is a whole skill in itself, and one that you will find extremely relevant to working on a development team.

You might also find benefit in attending virtual technology conferences or watching recordings from previous conferences on YouTube. You’ll learn a bit about the topic of the conference talk, but (perhaps more importantly) you’ll get familiar with the way that we tend to talk about code.

Learning on our own at home has its limitations, but hopefully you can get more comfortable interacting with your peers and experience less culture shock when you find yourself in a professional context.

One last thing: Don’t be afraid to tell your interviewer that you are nervous and that you’re not used to live-coding or talking through your process. It shouldn’t be a mark against you and will let the interviewer know that they might need to ask more thoughtful questions.

Thank you for your suggestions! You reminded me that I have been interested in attending an online meetup group that is local - Women Who Code.

It definitely is a culture shock when you’re face to face with people talking about code for the first time! Thanks for your advice :slight_smile:

Thank you for your advice and the tip to not give away the answers. :wink: I can see how that would help both the person asking the question and me - to think out the solution.

1 Like

hey miriam good to hear that you are new here I have also just joined this community

Nice to meet you! Good luck in studying. I’m going through the Beta Front End Certificate modules to refresh my mind after a break in studying. What are you focusing on?

Hey!
Back when I started with FCC there was a great community, which I believe is still active. https://www.chingu.io/ In essence a bunch of people working on projects in remote teams together. Find a group that is going through similar material to the one you are going through, this gives you immersion and helps you understand stuff better as you start to wonder how to answer the questions others post.
This has been a stepping stone for me in learning how to code. I totally recommend Chingu and any other group study sessions.

I’ve been interviewing recently (I work in the industry since 2016) and that uneasy feeling never really goes away, the only thing you can really do it look past it. In that regard what helped me was just being natural. Think out loud - it’s unlikely anyone will interrupt you while you talk about what you think algorithm / solution wise. Then you have the time to self correct and think, for me a good strategy is:

1. Paraphrase the task in my own words - and ask follow up questions if there is some confusion.
  2. Write pseudo code of my solution (this is the second run you can look for mistakes / wholes in your logic)
  3. Only then implement