No One Will Hire Me

Hi,

Heads up: This is not so related to programming, but to general IT/InfoSec/Cloud.

My background is not in tech. I have a degree in political science and a master’s in public administration. Long story short, I always wanted to work with/in tech and hadn’t found my way to it when I was younger because of circumstances. Now as an adult, I am finally looking to make my way into the industry.

Last summer, I started messing around with Python and got sidetracked. Then, toward the end of the year, I re-focused and started with freeCodeCamp with the hopes of getting into tech as a programmer. I was able to get my certificate for completing the Responsive Web Design curriculum. Shortly thereafter, I met someone who is working in the cloud industry and who ended up becoming a mentor to me. Then, I pivoted and decided to focus on integrating my programming knowledge with cloud computing. {I am particularly interested in cybersecurity and its intersection with cloud computing.} So, I studied my ass off and got my AWS Certified Cloud Practitioner certificate. Now I am studying for the CompTIA Security+ exam.

I have been out of work for 7 months. Once I felt ready, I switched up my LinkedIn and resume and “teched it out” to match my new career objectives, so I can’t go back to doing random/seemingly pointless administrative work. I might be fairly new to the game, but I am really having trouble getting any kind of traction. I have landed a few interviews through connections and all have failed because everyone wants “at least one year of experience.” That’s the new fad.

What do you all think I am missing here? Appreciate the feedback because every time I take a hit I lose some steam. Thanks.

1 Like

Wow, I just have to say I am super impressed by you! You sound very self-motivated, which will get you far (even if it doesn’t feel that way now.) You have already made SO much progress from your starting point. I hope to take the Network+ and Security+ exams myself some day. Kudos to you!! The only advice that I can give is to seek out some meetups if you are able to (Meetup.com) for professionals in your field of choice. I have attended some fantastic meetup events where I learned new things, had a great time, and networked with well-meaning professionals who are happy to help out. Also, attending a local conference if you can adjust your schedule enough and afford a ticket. Bring your resume and be ready to meet a lot of people. One of the most insightful things a coworker years ago told me was that it’s all about “who you know”. That was hard for me to grasp because I had never belonged to “in groups” financially or professionally, until I started putting myself into those groups on purpose in order to expand my network. I was surprised how willing people were to grab a coffee with me to discuss their job, their career story, or a job opportunity.

I wish you all the best and hope you do realize how far you have come already. Once you get that cert, your LinkedIn may just blow up. That happened to my boyfriend when he received his Network+. He had recruiters messaging him constantly.

1 Like

You ask what’s missing. Honestly? Time. While I admire how much you’ve been able to accomplish in a short time, you just haven’t been immersed in programming and technology for very long. You haven’t even taken your exam yet. And then there’s the job hunt. Job hunts take a long time. The most recent statistics I’ve seen say that the average time for an experienced developer to spend looking for a job is 6 months (I’m not sure what the numbers are for the sort of IT job you seem to be looking for). I understand that you’ve been out of work for a long time, but you haven’t been actively searching for an IT position. It’s normal to apply a lot without getting interviews and it’s normal it interview a lot before starting a new job.

2 Likes

Based on your resume, you have 2 months of relevant “experience”. Getting into a decent position in cloud or cyber security requires years of mastery. Give it time and keep learning

1 Like

Dear [GPerez1293], you are very talented and motivated, please don’t underestimate yourself.

1 Like

Hey, I saw your resume and your experience I think you’d be an awesome fit for this. You can do this work from home, you need a computer (desktop or laptop is fine, no mobile phones) and a stable internet connection.

What jobs are you applying for or want to apply for?

Your skill section just looks like a mixed bag of a bunch of different skills but it doesn’t really tell me what you are strong at.

First off, you should change your mindset. Second, don’t be afraid to ask hard questions in interviews such as, “Give me three reasons you would not hire me.” Adventually you’ll notice a pattern and can use that to guide your improvement.

Take your resume to professional recruiters at events and ask them to critique it if your not getting any leads.

Don’t ask hard questions in your interview for a junior position that is just bad advice.

Yeah. That’s the reality that’s been challenging for me to grasp and come to terms with because I have been out of a job for so long. I am trying to figure out how to land some kind of gig that will give me real-world experience aside from the work that I’m doing with the non-profit.

What I am trying to do is move into the cloud computing industry and focus on cloud security. I may not yet be qualified enough to go into a cloud computing role, so I figured I could get into the industry via IT, though I have been having trouble getting in this way, too. Because I have been out of work for so long, I have access to a gov’t program that is providing me with vouchers for IT cert exams if I complete the courses they assign me to prepare for them. I figured the next logical step would be to sit for the Security+ exam to help display that I have a foundational knowledge of security concepts. After this, I am thinking in order to really make an argument for a cloud position, I could study my ass off for the RHCSA and sit for that exam, too.

Thank you! I actually met my mentor at a MeetUp event. I am definitely hitting those up to try and establish some valuable connections. I’ll have to keep on trucking to see what the Security+ cert. will do for my resume and experience.

1 Like

I was looking into an RHCSA awhile ago. I like how its hands on more than question based. Using Fedora would help with that.