Notch Tribute Page - Need Feedback

Decided to use the Tribute page as a way to practice media queries would like some overall feedback and ways I can improve. Not a designer by any means and wasn’t to sure how to make a visually appealing tribute page.

https://codepen.io/CydoEntis/full/bGwMWGx

Hi @CydoEntis!

I think your page looks good.

I did have one question about a section in the css.

This might be personal preface, but why not use the all selector * here

html, body, div, span, applet, object, iframe,
h1, h2, h3, h4, h5, h6, p, blockquote, pre,
a, abbr, acronym, address, big, cite, code,
del, dfn, em, img, ins, kbd, q, s, samp,
small, strike, strong, sub, sup, tt, var,
b, u, i, center,
dl, dt, dd, ol, ul, li,
fieldset, form, label, legend,
table, caption, tbody, tfoot, thead, tr, th, td,
article, aside, canvas, details, embed, 
figure, figcaption, footer, header, hgroup, 
menu, nav, output, ruby, section, summary,
time, mark, audio, video {
	margin: 0;
	padding: 0;
	border: 0;
	font-size: 100%;
	font: inherit;
	vertical-align: baseline;
}

Welcome back @CydoEntis. I’m guessing this was more about practicing with media queries than meeting the user stories for the tribute page.

It looks good when minimizing the browser window but I couldn’t help but noticing that doing away with the media queries you could have accomplished the same thing by using relative units (percentage, em, rem) rather than hard coding pixel units.

The product landing page, because of the different requirements (user stories) was the first of the RWD projects that asked you to use a media query. The tech doc and the portfolio also required a media query. Maybe try redoing one of those.

I use to use that * but then someone told me that it is frowned upon and to use a CSS reset instead. Is it better to go back to the * selector?

Yeah this was primarily to practice media queries. I plan to go back through and fix everything up with your suggestions. And I am redoing all the projects in order.

1 Like

Well I don’t think there is anything wrong with Meyer’s css reset. I was just asking out of curiosity.

I usually just use a minimal css reset like this

* {
	padding: 0;
	margin: 0;
	}

I am definitely not a css expert by any means but I have found that everyone approaches it differently.

So, I don’t know if there is just one way to do it. :grinning:

Personally I much rather use the

It looks cleaner imo and if there is nothing wrong with doing it that way I think I will go back to that.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.