Object Oriented Programming: Create a Method on an Object 1

Tell us what’s happening:

dog.sayLegs()

should return the given string - note that punctuation and spacing matter.

Your code so far

let dog = {
name: "Spot",
numLegs: 4,
sayLegs: function() {return "This dog has" + dog.numLegs + " legs.";}
};
dog.sayLegs();

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/87.0.4280.141 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Create a Method on an Object

Link to the challenge:

I’ve edited your post for readability. When you enter a code block into a forum post, please precede it with a separate line of three backticks and follow it with a separate line of three backticks to make it easier to read.

You can also use the “preformatted text” tool in the editor (</>) to add backticks around text.

See this post to find the backtick on your keyboard.
Note: Backticks (`) are not single quotes (’).

sayLegs: function() {return "This dog has" + dog.numLegs + " legs.";}

The problems are here.

First, you are trying to access that number with dog.numLegs. But that doesn’t exist since it is being created. That’s OK - an object can refer to itself with the keyword this. So, inside the object, if I wanted to refer to the name property, it would be this.name.

The other problem is that with that fix, your string is still missing a space character (in the proper place).

When I make those two changes, your code passes for me.

I don’t think the curriculum covers this yes. The test passes if you simply copy/paste the sentence to return in the function.

Right, I stand corrected.

You do not need to use this at this point. The only problem was the space in the text string. I was getting ahead of myself.

As to just hardcoding the answer in, yes, that will work. That is a flaw in the test, but of course, if the goal is to learn, it would not be a good idea to exploit that flaw.

You are right as well @kevinSmith. The method should be used.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.