Odd Interview Assignment, a ux that doesn't use mouse or keyboard

I recently got an assignment from a job I applied to and the assignment is unlike anything I’ve seen.

A brief description of the assignment

Please design and create an interactive experience using web technologies (html, css, javascript)…
The app UX should not use a keyboard or mouse.

Are there any examples or anyone have any experience developing something that doesn’t use a keyboard or mouse for UX?

Thank you for any help

You should ask them to clarify what they mean by each of the terms

Interactive as in responding to user input, or are they really just meaning dynamic content?

Without keyboard and mouse specifically? Do they want touch controls or do they include those as special cases of keyboard and mouse?

1 Like

It’s not strange in any way, around 2/3 of visits to websites come from things that have neither mouse nor a keyboard attached, and lots of things get designed to take advantage of that.

And if you want to go crackers, build something using a-frame or similar, and get a Cardboard off Amazon and take it to the interview

Thank you very much for the replies. Is learning how to create a UX without a mouse or keyboard something that can be done within a few hours leaving me enough time to complete an entire project within a day or 2?

I’m applying for entry and junior level positions. I’m comfortable with HTML, CSS, JS, and React.

As DanCouper said, this could be a mobile web interface. You could think about things such as buttons and other “tappable” elements large enough for fingers, not relying on hover state for links/buttons and many more.
Check out these links on the UXMatter website
https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2017/03/design-for-fingers-touch-and-people-part-1.php
https://www.uxmatters.com/mt/archives/2017/05/design-for-fingers-touch-and-people-part-2.php

First thing that come to mind is mobile and that’s probably the obvious direction, another would be an accessiblity ux, ie speech recognition/ screen reader for the blind