Open Weather API, site crashes if city is not in the database

After following one of tutorials and playing with the code, I got my weather app working. I also get a nice error message if I don’t enter any value and press the button, but if I enter “wrong” value (city is not in API’s database), the app crashes. Is there any chance I could have something like live input search field? For example, if I start typing ''MA…" only cities with those two first letters will appear and I can click on any of them? We have all seen such search fields, but I have no idea if it is possible to be done by someone who is learning like myself or you need some advanced knowledge.

Here is the code:

class App extends React.Component {
  state = {
    temperature: undefined,
    city: undefined,
    humidity: undefined,
    pressure: undefined,
    description: undefined,
    error: undefined
  }
  getWeather = async (e) => {
    e.preventDefault();
    const city = e.target.elements.city.value;
    const api_call = await fetch(`http://api.openweathermap.org/data/2.5/weather?q=${city}&APPID=${API_KEY}&units=metric`);
    const data = await api_call.json();
    if (city) {
      this.setState({ 
        temperature: data.main.temp,
        city: data.name,
        humidity: data.main.humidity,
        pressure: data.main.pressure,
        description: data.weather[0].description,
        error: ""
      });
    } else {
      this.setState({ 
        temperature: undefined,
        city: undefined,
        humidity: undefined,
        pressure: undefined,
        description: undefined,
        error: "Please enter city name..."
      });
    }
  }
  render() {
    return (
      <div>
        <div className="wrapper">
          <div className="main">
            <div className="container">
              <div className="row">
                <div className="col col-xs-6 col-sm-6 col-md-6 col-lg-6 col-xl-6 title-container">
                  <Titles />
                </div>
                <div className="col col-xs-6 col-sm-6 col-md-6 col-lg-6 col-xl-6 form-container">
                  <Form getWeather={this.getWeather}/>
                  <Weather 
                  temperature={this.state.temperature}
                  city={this.state.city}
                  country={this.state.country}
                  humidity={this.state.humidity}
                  pressure={this.state.pressure}
                  description={this.state.description}
                  error={this.state.error}
                  />
                </div>
              </div>
            </div>
          </div>
        </div>
      </div>
    );
  }
};

export default App;

also, another problem is that there are some cities with the same name, so I would really need that live search option. If that is too difficult, how could I just stop my app from crashing if city is not in API’s database?

Yes. You mean auto suggest. That is very possible. I would suggest, there are APIs that let you send what was typed so far and they send back an array of suggestions. I did as much on my time zone app. The app is here and the code is here.

The problem is going to be that you don’t want to publish your google API key. It is not possible to hide it in the front end. So, I created a microservice that handles that. My client (frontend) calls the microservice (server/backend) that calls Google for me and returns the data to the client. That way my API key is hidden. I’m assuming that if you are in this part of the curriculum that you are not ready to handle a microservice. But if you don’t do that, the only option is to put the API key in the frontend (bad idea because then anyone could copy and use it and max out your usage limits or cost you money if it’s a pay service) or find an API that does this without an API key (which is unlikely because they would get bombarded with 27 million requests an hour and would have to spend a lot of money on extra servers.)