Our expanded curriculum is now live on beta.freecodecamp.com and we need your help QA'ing it

Thanks for the info! Will certainly stay tuned in those locations!

@QuincyLarson So which curriculum should I follow now? I am currently on the responsive design part of the current curriculum. Should I abandon it and start the beta instead?

I think the Technical Documentation project is too specific and doesn’t allow for much personal choice.
I spent hours on copying content from Microsoft’s Power BI docs. Then I find out that one of the tests is that you have <code> blocks so I am forced to document a computer language.

And if so, the project’s challenge page should explain that the goal is to build a documentation page for a computer language (and not a device or piece of software).

2 Likes

Would you be interested in opening an issue about this, describing your reasoning and proposing some alternate tests? Here’s the repository:

I think my main issue is that there are no clear user-stories tellingl the user what’s expected of the project before the user actually runs the test, and that was already discussed at length in this issue. I should’ve looked at the test cases before picking a topic, Iguess.

1 Like

I just went thru the Apis And Microservice > Basic Node and Express section this morning and I must say that I really liked it , it is much better than the learnyounode tutorial that we had to go thru in the current curriculum before starting the backend, better in the sense that it is more practical, or at least I can see where the things taught here are and can be directly applied to an application being developed, whereas learnyounode was more hypothetical, IMO.

1 Like

So how much longer until the beta website is actually integrated with the original www.freecodecamp.org?

2 Likes

I am not sure there is really a set timeline, it is more of “when it’s ready it’s ready”.

You can check out the progress here
Still doesn’t give a timeline, but it does give you an idea of what work is left at that moment.

1 Like

Sounds great, thanks for the help!

the message box has class=“message box”, but the challenge is passed by referring to getElementsByClassName(‘message’). That’s what is asked in the challenged even though clicking doesn’t do anything unless you refer to “message box” class.

There’s a spelling mistake on this page, 4th paragraph:

““Values passed to console.log() in the text editor block run each set of tests as well as one more time for any function calls that you have in you code.””

Should be your.

This was already fixed, just not deployed yet.

It could certainly be my code, but…

I’m working through the React and Redux sections. I’m on React and Redux: Manage State Locally First. I’m getting the correct outputs and it seems to be saving the state correctly when I console.log everything. But the system isn’t recognizing that it is passing the last two requirements: “The submitMessage method should clear the current input.” and “Clicking the Add message button should call the method submitMessage which should add the current input to the messages array in state.”

Below is my code. Is it me or the system?

class DisplayMessages extends React.Component {
  constructor(props) {
    super(props);
    this.state = {
      input: '',
    }
    this.handleChange = this.handleChange.bind(this);
    this.submitMessage = this.submitMessage.bind(this);
  }
  // add handleChange() and submitMessage() methods here
  handleChange(event){
    this.setState({input:event.target.value})
  }

submitMessage(event){
    event.preventDefault();
    let newMessages =  this.state.messages.concat(this.state.input);  
    this.setState({messages:newMessages});
    this.setState({input:''}); 
  }

render() {
    return (
      <div>
        <h2>Type in a new Message:</h2>
        { /* render an input, button, and ul here */ }
        <form onSubmit={this.submitMessage}>
          <input value={this.state.input} onChange={this.handleChange}></input>
          <button type="submit">Add Message</button>
        </form>

<ul>
              {this.state.messages.map(function(message){
                 return <li>{message}</li>
               })}
          </ul>

{ /* change code above this line */ }
      </div>
    );
  }
};

cursory glance I’d suggest combining the two set state statements in the submitMessage function into just one setState statement. Hope this helps.

I’m working through the QA and testing with Chai challenges and finding some issues.
Here’s the first one I figured out:

“all tests should pass” will fail if there is no NODE_ENGINE environment variable set explicitly (meaning it’s undefined). This is the case when using glitch. This can be worked around by setting the environment variable but doesn’t seem like the point of the challenge. So maybe it should be added to the glitch boilerplate env file, or instructions should be given on adding the env variable.
I could open an issue if deemed necessary.

Of course open an issue if there isn’t one already. The forum is not the right place for this.

So I will take your comment to mean that you agree that it should be opened as an issue. As that is what I was trying to gauge with my question in the forum, as I wasn’t sure. Helpful, thank you.

What is the difference between learn.freecodecamp.org and the regular www.freecodecamp.org. I mean I see obvious differences and learn.freecodecamp.org has more courses. Is this the next iteration of freecodecamp beta that’s on beta.freecodecamp.org? So confused with the 3 URLS… I already started to work through the “www” path. Should I switch to “beta” or “learn”? Please help!

1 Like

As someone who is just starting out… should I use this curriculum?
Or should I use the regular freecodecamp curriculum available now?

@Cisco, From previous comments on here that I have seen, many have suggested to use the learn.freecodecamp.org curriculum and save your work as it will not be brought with you once the new content goes live.

I myself am working through the new curriculum as it has more things that I am looking for and saving my work locally.