Package.json must have a valid "author" key

I get the error “package.json must have a valid “author” key” when I submit using the live app link on Glitch.

Error code
// running tests
package.json should have a valid “author” key (Test timed out)
// tests completed
package.json should have a valid “author” key

I do not like being thrown into writing a teeny tiny project right off the bat. The explanation should be rewritten, for instance: Asking us to clone a github project only to write this “An object is recommended for bigger projects, but a simple string like the following example will do for this project.”

So which is it? Should we add author or remove everything but the author in the package.json file?

Update: I tried with just “author” and with everything and I still can’t pass this exercise.

Compared to the rest of freecodecamp, this exercise/project is poorly written. We’re only just starting to learn web development and I can see just from browsing the forum that this has confused many people. That being said, I love freecodecamp.

Your project link(s)

Live Site: https://workable-bright-mandarin.glitch.me

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/88.0.4324.182 Safari/537.36

Challenge: How to Use package.json, the Core of Any Node.js Project or npm Package

Link to the challenge:

Hi @Travinkel !

Welcome to the forum!

I am having issues getting your page to load on my end.
It is stuck on loading.

I don’t know if you are experiencing that too.

That might be part of the issue.

But you might consider using replit for these challenges instead.

Hi everyone, i have de same problem, whats is “replit”?? I use Visual Studio Code, commit to github, then copy the link of github to FreeCodeCamp, what is wrong? what is “live app link”?

Hi @martinfiscina !

Welcome to the forum!

Replit is an online ide where you can build small projects and share your work.

The link to your github repo is not the live link.
The live link means you need to deploy your app somewhere like to heroku.

But you actually don’t have to do all of those extra steps.

For these challenges, you can just submit the link for your localhost.

Start the server from your terminal.
Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 7.49.27 PM

Then copy the localhost link http://localhost:3000/

If have further questions, then please create your own topic.

1 Like