Pair programming?

Hi all. Iā€™m studying full time, not sure about you? So I am available all day during the week. Send me a message on the Gitter channel when you want to pair code; my username is TimHandy on there also.

If youā€™re not that far along thatā€™s fineā€¦ I need to review stuff anyway, and I wonā€™t just plough through them or just give you the answers. You only really understand something if you can explain it to someone else in a way they can understand, so pair programming should be good for both parties.

Talk to you soon!

Tim.

2 Likes

Algorithms tough? Try to see them as challenges that are used to improve yourself! Youā€™re not doing ā€œalgorithmsā€, youā€™re just improving yourself!

2 Likes

@TimHandy Iā€™ll hit you up on there soon. Today happens to me by one day off/chore day so with the exception of today, I study/code 6-7 days a week (will still probably code tonight around midnight PST). What time zone you in?

@robertx32 good outlook, man. Good outllook!

Sorry for the late reply. This post has suddenly got busy!! :open_mouth:
I have completed the Intermediate algorithms so am happy to help with those, or previous tests.
I will be working through Advanced Algorithms so would be happy to receive help with those.
I am available next week during the day (UK time) but after that Iā€™m on holiday for a couple of weeks.

I will try to be on from 10 am Monday & Tuesday.

Im still in the Javascript lessons section but I am down to help code or debug any project your working on. Im new to FCC but I have been into coding since 2013, just now getting my feet wet though. I started on Codecademy but didnt like the old program, it was not as fun to learn and take notes from as FCC is. Just drop me a message and a link to the pen or git and im down to help with anything!

Hope to be able to pair-code with some of you in the week :slight_smile:

I believe that pair programming isnā€™t generally about one person asking for help (though it can be). Itā€™s a mutually beneficial process whereby both people work together on a task, with the opportunity to learn from each other. In the context of learning to code, I think that working with various partners from time to time can speed the learning process, solidify current knowledge, and lead to better code all-round. There are also other benefits such as learning to communicate your thought processes and use of coding terminology (no-doubt a crucial professional skill), and helping prevent cabin-fever for those of us studying full time on our own! :smile:

2 Likes

Ok, I am now following everyone who posted here on GitHub. I am also there though I havenā€™t uploaded anything there yet!
This is me. :slight_smile:

You donā€™t have a GitHub account yet?

Hereā€™s a plan. When you online, go to chat, go to pair programme room and send a message to one of us. We can co-ordinate from there.
Regards
Johnny

Thatā€™s a good ideaā€¦ do you mean the Gitter FreeCodeCamp/LetsPair room/channel? Iā€™d seen it in the past but totally forgotten about that purpose-made room. Speak to you tomorrow.

Iā€™d join some pair programming too, working alone is boring. Iā€™m up for any node.js challenge.

This is my github: http://github.com/Nepherius

Hi :slight_smile: , This is my github account:

you are right, I gonna do that :thumbsup: .

Hi Nepherius
I will be honest, Iā€™ve only briefly looked at Node.js but I am interested. I am happy to help you at some point. Maybe someone else reading this thread will be interested too?
If not, call me up!
JB

Hi TheOnlyRealTodd
I am currently working my way though the lessons and the algorithm challenges but to be honest, I want to learn Node, MongoDB and Angular. The challenges I havenā€™t found inspiring so far - probably because I have hit brick walls.
Regards,
Johnny

1 Like

Heh, I got nodejs and mongodb covered, itā€™s the front-end that I donā€™t like.

@JohnnyBizzel I know what you mean. The challenges can definitely be dry, but thatā€™s a good sign that you want to learn those things (Node, Mongo, and Angular). I think #1 priority is making real-world, usable products. #2 priority would be the challenges. And yes, the algorithms help you to think like a programmer and are fun sometimesā€¦ And yes, you will have to use algorithms in every day coding. In fact, I used 2-3 today in my quote generator. However, I, much like you seem to be, need a product to motivate my efforts. Iā€™d much rather solve an algorithm as part of developing an app than just solve an algorithm/challenge to solve an algorithm/challenge.

But at the end of the day, itā€™s about your portfolio, experience, and who you know. Letā€™s face it: Most people looking for a web developer would rather have you show them a website you developed for Stella Artois (or at least other sites that has similar features to what theyā€™re looking for) than show them how you can come up with the Fibonacci series but have nothing to show for it. Unless of course youā€™re going to a specialized coding job where youā€™re delving more into the algorithmic side of programming.

That said though, Iā€™ve taken more interest in the challenges lately for some reason. Probably because I finally finished with my ASP.NET Model View Controller/Entity Framework class lol.

1 Like

Just had a first pair with @JohnnyBizzel. We worked through one of the intermediate algorithms togetherā€¦ think I definitely got more out of it than him but he was patient with me! Weā€™re on a similar stage in the projects (Weather App) so will catch up again tomorrow.

We used Google Hangouts for voice and video, and JSFiddle for the code collaboration. Hangouts was great, though JSFiddle wasnā€™t so great as itā€™s not easy to run the raw JS code, but was good to see each other make changes to the code on the page in real-time.

John mentioned http://pythontutor.com/javascript.html that seems like it could be really useful. It has a pair code mode. It has a nice animation and diagram of what your variables are at each step of the code. I think this will be useful for visually debugging whatā€™s happening in your code.

Have been told that Cloud9 works for collaboration, and I have briefly tested plugins for Atom (Atom-pair and Motepair) that could be useful, if both parties use Atom.

There doesnā€™t seem to be a great how-to for easy pair coding, so let us know what you guys find works!

Cheers,

Tim

2 Likes

Thanks for that info! Yeah I just did a session with @Diego_Perez on jsfiddleā€¦ Itā€™s not the best but itā€™s something I guess. Personally, I prefer to use my own local HTML files and my browser. Skype also kinda sucks but it does have a screenshare. Does Google Hangouts have that?

1 Like

You all may find these tools helpful:

1 Like

Iā€™m also interested in pair programming - primarily to get used to collaborating and break free from coding in a silo. A few sites Iā€™m aware of that offer free collaboration include hyperdev, jsfiddle, and c9. For voice chat, teamspeak is available for the three big OS platforms. ventrilo for Windows and Mac, or consider the web app discord for chat and voice (platform agnostic).

Iā€™ve completed the front-end cert and skipped straight to the back-end - currently at URL shortener. PM me via gitter @0x0936 if interested. Iā€™m happy to help with any prior challenges and projects - HTML / CSS, Basic JavaScript, etc.