Please help with SQL query

I need to write an SQL query that: “For each library branch, retrieve the branch name and the total number of books loaned out from that branch.”

MY QUERY:

SELECT branchname, tbl_book_loans.bookid, dateout, datedue, COUNT(tbl_book_loans.branchid) AS loans_out FROM tbl_library_branch
INNER JOIN tbl_book_loans ON tbl_library_branch.branchid = tbl_book_loans.branchid
GROUP BY tbl_library_branch.branchname, tbl_book_loans.bookid, tbl_book_loans.dateout, tbl_book_loans.datedue
;

Please see my table that corresponds to the sql query above.loansbybranch

MY ISSUE:
The table I have created shows a separate line item for each book that each branch has loaned out. I need to aggregate the loans into one line item that will indicate how many books a branch has loaned out NOT broken down into loans-by-book, as I have done in my table. There should be 5, one for each branch, without any details on which books have been loaned out.

is it because (and my SQL is rather rusty) you have “tbl_book_loans.bookid” in your SELECT statement and also in your GROUP ID. If you just want a total of books that a library has loaned out then you dont need it (not sure either what the dates are there for)

It says only “retrieve the branch name and the total number of books loaned out from that branch”. But in your code you include Bookid, dateout and datedue. It should be:

SELECT branchname , COUNT(tbl_book_loans.branchid) AS loans_out
FROM tbl_library_branch
INNER JOIN tbl_book_loans ON tbl_library_branch.branchid = tbl_book_loans.branchid
GROUP BY tbl_library_branch.branchname