Please recommend good Laravel tutorial

I’m looking for a thorough Laravel tutorial, similar to Hartl’s Rails Tutorial, i.e. Something that covers creating and testing a whole, reasonably interesting app.

I’m aware of Laracasts, but I really don’t want to do 20 hours of video code-alongs. I also really don’t want to subscribe to a course - I’d rather buy something outright if there was no decent free alternative.

So, I’d prefer written tutorials, preferably that you have experience with :slight_smile:

Hi Jackson, as a book there is one from O’Reilly called “Laravel: Up and running”.

I don’t have any experience with it, but the reviews in Amazon are amazing.

This is part of its description:

The book’s high-level overview and concrete examples will help experienced PHP web developers get started with Laravel right away. By the time you reach the last page, you should feel comfortable writing an entire application in Laravel from scratch.
Dive into several features of this framework, including:

• Blade, Laravel’s powerful, custom templating tool
  • Tools for gathering, validating, normalizing, and filtering user-provided data
  • Laravel’s Eloquent ORM for working with the application’s databases
  • The Illuminate request object, and its role in the application lifecycle
  • PHPUnit, Mockery, and PHPSpec for testing your PHP code
  • Laravel’s tools for writing JSON and RESTful APIs
  • Interfaces for file system access, sessions, cookies, caches, and search
  • Tools for implementing queues, jobs, events, and WebSocket event publishing
  • Laravel’s specialty packages: Scout, Passport, Cashier, Echo, Elixir, Valet, and Socialite

I checked on Amazon and at the moment it has a discounted price of ~33€ (~36$) for the paper version and ~23€ (~25$) for the Kindle eBook.
Maybe it’s possible to find it somewhere else for less, possibly even second-handed.

1 Like