Please review my professional portfolio

Hi , I am Pulkit and I recent made my professional portfolio and want to get some feedbacks on it
You all can check it here:- Portfolio

4 Likes

Hi @PulkitSinghDev !

I think it looks good.
You have done a lot of cool stuff so far.

I think it would be cool to see some of your projects.

I personally am not a fan of skill bars.
I don’t know if I would be that honest that you are 20% competent in PHP.
Or 15% skilled in AI.

I had some trouble opening up the menu. For me, I had to double click for it to open. So I don’t know if that was just on my end. But I would look into that.

Keep up the good work!

1 Like

I also don’t like the skill bars, especially the lower ones like 15%.

I would also love to see some projects. Talk is very cheap.

2 Likes

At your age you should be programming for fun, you don’t need to worry about your career at the age of 13.

That being said it’s an impressive effort but you don’t need to be cv building. Do a bit of game dev or whatever you enjoy.

2 Likes

@PulkitSinghDev Hey man, awesome site!

You’re way ahead of the curve at your age, and it looks really professional. Agree with above comments about skills bar (but cool D3 implementation), it’s not really helpful.

Since you’re so young, I’d honestly encourage you to spend more time finding real-world problems to solve with code. Since you have a good viz and front-end background, what can you do with it, and what type of problem do you want to solve? When you go to college, and you should, go figure out how you can apply your skills, collaborate with ppl very different from you, and get experience working in large teams. There’s a whole world out there besides code and cv building.

1 Like

That’s a really good point.

I think the landscape and narrative today is learn how to code online and find a way to monetize it. There are so many possibilities in revenue streams that it is attracting the younger generation.

When I was OP’s age, coding wasn’t cool yet. None of these online options existed yet. I knew very few people who pursued web development.

But now, coding is super cool.
Kids nowadays are growing up in a different world. :grinning:

1 Like

I agree with the above comments. Perhaps it would be best to list the technologies you are the most comfortable with or have good amount of understanding of instead.

I think you should remove personal information. Such as your personal email, phone number, social media, age, school, photo, and really anything too revealing about yourself. You don’t want sensitive information out there just for anyone to see and take. Make sure the information that is relevant to web development is shown.

Also, don’t forget to add projects. Not sure if you have any yet, but remember to add them when you do.

I like the schedule section but I think the contact section is enough to get in touch with you.

Honestly, this portfolio is fantastic. Keep up the awesome work !

1 Like

Hey there @PulkitSinghDev,

Your page looks nice. Here are some thoughts I had while exploring your page:

As Jessica mentioned, there are some difficulties interacting with the page. I’ve had to refresh a few times while I explore, just to get the links to work again.

About Page

• Is there a reason you list your birthday? That seems like not only rather personal information, but also irrelevant to the scope of a professional portfolio.
  • Your home page uses the first-person (“I am”) voice, but your description uses the third-person (“He is”) voice.
  • Great job including testimonials, that is a nice addition. However, there is no indication that I can click and drag to view the ones that have scrolled by.
  • You state you have 10 projects, but where are they? What are they? Can I see them? There’s no mention of them here.
  • The same with your 17 awards.
  • I would agree with everyone else that the skill bars should be removed - add your projects instead, and let your work speak for itself.

Resume

• You have some typos here (“experirnce”). Why are you listing the art experience? Are you looking for UI/UX or design work?
  • You have text that says “Official Website” which seems like it should be a link, but it isn’t. (Or, at least it doesn’t act like one.)
  • You list your phone number, email, location, and school you attend. As a minor, I’d be especially careful about listing Personal Identifiable Information in a public place.

Services

• These tiles have a neat hover effect, but it doesn’t work. Sometimes they change, and sometimes one gets stuck in the “lit up” state.
  • Your link text is completely invisible when the card is hovered.

Contact

• The form isn’t interactable. I cannot click on any of the inputs, or the icons under “Social Profiles” that look like they should be links.

Blogs

• These look like some great publications. Could you unify all of your work into a single source?

I hope this helps you as you continue to explore. Good luck, and happy coding.

1 Like

This is the sort of stuff you should be building… I’m not sure why you would want to build a professional portfolio at your age?

1 Like

Honestly man I think you are going places given you’re only 13 and built a website like that. Keep it up.

My feedback would be similar to what other people have already said like adding projects, removing the skill bars, and the links with the hovering effect don’t work consistently.

1 Like

I agree with what’s been said already - you really don’t need to focus on your career at your age, and you should remove your personal info.

And I’m going to repeat myself on this which I wrote for another young person here (who was 15) the other day:

I’d also recommend taking the time to really cement your coding education if school is one of those things that’s really easy for you. Take Harvard’s CS50X if you haven’t already. Learn general computer science topics if you don’t think you’ll be going to college (i.e. data structures, algorithms, CPU architecture, operating systems, programming language theory, etc). Certain types of math are foundational to programming, so make sure you know HS-level algebra I and II, statistics & probability, and discrete math. Make sure you really understand how to work with both binary and hexadecimal numbers (they can come up a LOT in coding). Learn a C-family language like C# or Java, or even the ancestors like C++ or C. If you learn C, you’ll gain a much better understanding of how computers work, and that can be extremely helpful.

Also I fully recognize that some people are especially “gifted” nowadays, so I don’t mean any offense, but how well do you really know everything listed on your site? You should not list anything that you don’t know or are not comfortable with. You also have 4 different general-purpose programming languages listed there: Python, Java, PHP, and C++. I’d recommend focusing on the one language you know the best and then learning it better. It’s good to know more than one language, but you should pick one of them and learn it really well. And don’t try to learn too many different things, especially different types of topics. You’re never going to have time for that. Pick what you like the most and do those - i.e., don’t learn design or graphics, or get into AI, if you’re not really into those. Those are both entirely different careers, and companies often hire one person for any given type of role.

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, will remove the skills bar soon :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for your feedback, will remove the skills bar and will add some of my projects soon :slight_smile:

Ahh, actually I love to do web dev and AI, I tried to do some game dev but was not getting that much passionate about it and I just made this portfolio so that more people can reach out to me and more people can get to know about me
and Thank you for your feedback :slight_smile:

Thank you for your feedback, will remove the skills bar soon :slight_smile:

Thank you so much for your feedback, I will look in into it about the things you have listed :slight_smile:

Thank you for the feedback and I will make the changes according to your and others feedback as well.
Thank you :slight_smile:

When you originally posted this with the title Professional portfolio I moved into the career section without realizing you were only 13.

But, it spawned a really good discussion and important learning opportunity for you.

Now looking at your response to @miketandy I would create a different approach.

I would just create a simple one page personal website. Not a portfolio.

Just have a small about section, some projects, and a contact section with your twitter, etc.

All one page.

Keep it simple and people can get to know you. :grinning:

2 Likes

wow, It’s amazing @PulkitSinghDev. Good work :slight_smile: :clap:

1 Like

:grinning: Thank you so much :grinning: