Please review my resume and portfolio

Hi everyone. I want to start out by saying I am so grateful to FCC and the community. You were instrumental to getting me my first developer job after college. Unfortunately, I was laid off earlier this month.
Please help me out and review my resume:

I feel one issue is that my job summaries don’t describe my “impact, including specific numbers.” I know resume sites always recommend that, but I have no idea about specific numbers. No one ever informed me of traffic or sales, etc.
My portfolio is at: partum.github.io
Thank you for your time :smiley:

1 Like
  • You don’t need the summary as it’s written, it adds nothing of value to the resume. You need to re-word to something else if you want to keep it.

• Skills → Projects → Experience → Education should be your order of sections top-down.

• All of your wording needs to be higher-level and less technical. Keep in mind your resume will most often be read by a recruiter or HR person, not other devs.

I like the simplicity of your portfolio, and that makes it easier to navigate and read.
Good job on that. :+1:
Besides, I went through some of your projects and found out that you were missing the meta-viewport tag because of that the site gets rendered at desktop width on smaller devices as well as leads to zooming in and out of your site.
You should consider looking into that.

Yeah, I think the summary should be half as long and redone. Don’t use buzz words and platitudes. Don’t describe yourself as “knowledgeable” and “able to collaborate” - doesn’t everyone say that about themselves?

I think the summary should tell them who you are and what kind of job you are looking for. And complete sentences wouldn’t hurt.

I am a React developer with nearly two years of experience. I am looking for a junior level position. I live in … but can work remotely and would consider relocation.

If they read that, they know exactly who you are and what you are looking for. Don’t waste their time with meaningless descriptions and scavenger hunts for the info they want.

I like that most of your stuff gets straight to the point.

I agree with astv99’s comments. I also might make it a bit “prettier”. I don’t going crazy with design and layout, but this is a little prosaic, like an HTML document from 2002.

Combine your projects sections. You can mention that your personal one is personal.

Thank you everyone!! I will update my resume and portfolio accordingly. Hopefully I can get a new job soon :slight_smile: