Plus Operator Not Recognized

The system doesn’t seem to be recognizing my use of the + operator. Everything appears to be fine on the console though. Thanks for the help!

**My Code so far: var myStr = "This is the start. " + “This is the end.”;

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_15_4) AppleWebKit/605.1.15 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/13.1 Safari/605.1.15.

Challenge: Concatenating Strings with Plus Operator

Link to the challenge:

Let’s play the game can you spot the typo
Hint it’s quotational

Are you referring to the quotation marks? I see that they look different but on the console, they look the same (pasted over). I switched to single (’) and no difference.

What makes you think that the plus symbol isn’t being “recognized”?

When I look at your code above, I see that you have fancy curly quotes around “This is the end.”. My guess is that you are using an Apple device. If so, you have to turn off “Smart Punctuation”.

I have the same issue :frowning: here is my code : var myStr = "This is the start. " + “This is the end.”;

This is what is coming up after hitting test:

// running tests You should use the + operator to build myStr
. // tests completed

You are correct, using Apple. How do I turn off smart Punctuation (edit: turned it off and no change…)

var myStr = "This is the start. " + “This is the end.”;

As you can see, you still have funky quotes.

If you have “Smart Punctuation” off, try resetting the challenge and writing your solution again.

Just copy past the ones bellow

"" 

should help you out there

not helping, still same error -
my code var myStr = "This is the start. " + “This is the end.”;

Smart punctuation was turned off, then I reset the lesson. Still showing an error that it doesn’t think I am using the + operator.

var myStr = "This is the start. " + “This is the end.”
(edit: I see the fancy quotes still… but I did turn it off… frustrating)

Edit2: I also tried copying what KityKora posted… same issue.

1 Like

and you can see KittyKora quotes are shown like fancy here, so its Forum issue, has nothing to do with our issue with +

Try single quotes, maybe that would work and pass the test still? ‘Hello’ + ‘World’

backticks should also work technically `Hello` + `World`

An unexpected side effect of Apple’s new Smart Punctuation feature in iOS 11 has manifested and is causing some problems with apps that use Core Data to store strings. … The null byte insertion prematurely ends a string, which as a best case causes a truncation of data —but can also lead to instability and crashing.

It’s not this site our either one of you messing up.
Rather it’s Apple making incomplete and broke software.

Source: https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/26/tips-turn-off-ios-11-smart-punctuation-to-avoid-data-entry-problems

There is a bug with this challenge, so you can skip it. However, if your device is using the fancy curly quotes you won’t be able to pass challenges with strings.

1 Like

that kinda sucks cause we won-t be able to pass challenge and get certificate.

Same issue with the next challenge “Plus Equals Operator”

1 Like
  • You do not need to complete all the challenges. The only requirements for the certificates are the projects.
  • This bug is being worked on and will be fixed. Then if you want to get all the checkmarks you can come back and fix it.
1 Like

ok, next challenge has the same issue with += operator -
myStr += “This is the second sentence.”; - You should use the

+=

operator to build

myStr

Awesome, thanks! Looking forward to being able to get back into both lessons that are having issues.