Portfolio feedback needed 😁

Hello everyone, I had a fun time doing this project and was hoping to gain some feedback if you had any. Thanks so much!

https://codepen.io/jacob-nathanson/full/wvWMXRM

1 Like

Hey @JacobNath. Your Personal Portfolio Project looks clean and good. But, a few suggestions:

• Add html { scroll-behavior: smooth} to your CSS code so that when users click on the links in your header, your webpage will have a nice smooth scrolling effect.
  • You only need to write the code that should be inside the body tag in CodePen. No need of <!DOCTYPE html>, <html> and <head>. If you want to add code for your head tag, you need to click on the settings icon at the top of the HTML code box and add your code inside the "Stuff for " box.
  • Can’t you make the “Let’s Connect” section a little bit lower and smaller?

Anyway, your webpage looks very good and it’s responsive. Good luck on your next journey ahead!

1 Like

Thank you very much! , I was essentially writing the bulk of the code on Visual Studio and then copy-pasting, so I will note for next time. Thanks for the tips for codepen and your other suggestions!

1 Like

Hi Jacob. It’s nice that you’ve posted your personal portfolio (I’ve got the Responsive web design certification just yesterday).
I have some thoughts I’d like to share with you. Hopefully, they will be somehow useful.
Lets start from the top, the nav-bar. I was a bit put off, honestly, when I first saw it. It is very narrow, and the text inside is
quite big; also, when I hover over the text it I’d expect something to happen -not just the cursor that changes to a pointer-, like a change of
the color or something. I know it’s a nav-bar and it should be obvious that’s a link, but it’s not that intuitive. In contrast, the footer
is huge. You could spare the ‘Let’s connect’, in my humble opinion: it would solve the problem, pretty much. The icons you’ve put are very
intuitive, and can stand on their own; if you want the text, consider a smaller size. As for the icons, I like the fact that they change color.
Love them!

Now, the main-content, the first thing I see: a nice greeting and a picture of a very energetic and positive guy: love it! However,
the text you’ve written below the picture is quite hard to read, especially when you try it with a smaller viewport. Please consider
switching with something that stands out a bite more (different size, different color: your choice). Finally, the project section. First off,
its color blends with the footer, to a point where it’s hard to distinguish the two (I have the sensation, also, that it creates a bit of
contrast with the above section; after messing with colors in my projects, a video about color theory really helped me in choosing them
with more confidence). The whole section deserves more space, I think, more margin. Your projects are really packed together, they can barely breathe. Also, when I click on them I can only access the Tribute page: I’d like to see the other projects as well, they look nice.

Here are my 50 cents. I hope I was useful. Keep coding mate!

1 Like

Your portfolio looks good @JacobNath. Some things to revisit;

• Codepen provides the boilerplate for you. It only expects the code you’d put within the body element in HTML. (No need to include the body tags). For anything you want to add to the <head> element click on the ‘Settings’ button, then HTML and add it into the ‘Stuff for <head>’ box.
    • The link to the font goes in the box labeled ‘Stuff for <head>’
    • The test script is JavaScript. It should go right before the closing body tag. It will not work if placed in the head element.
  • Run your HTML code through the W3C validator.
    • There are HTML coding errors you should be aware of and address.
  • All of your projects bring the user to the same pen
    • Rather than open the pen, why not have it open full screen?
  • Do not use the <br> element to force line breaks or spacing. That’s what CSS is for.
1 Like

Thank you very much I really appreciate your detailed thoughts I will definitely revisit these issues!

thanks very much I will revisit these issues!