Potential Infinite Loop!

First: What is Potential infinite Loop ??
Second: Why this code gives me this kind of error, exactly at this line (( result.push(arr.slice(i,i + size)); ))

function chunkArrayInGroups(arr, size) {
  // Break it up.
  var result = [];

for (var i = 0 ; i+size <= size ; i + size){
    result.push(arr.slice(i,i + size));
  }

return result;
}

chunkArrayInGroups([0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5], 2);

A potential infinite loop means that a loop (a for loop in this case) might run “forever” and freeze your browser.

The problem is that you are not updating i in your for loop. Instead of doing i = i+1 or whatever logic to update i, you say i + size which doesn’t change i. So i will remain zero, and i + size <= size will always return true, which results in a never ending for loop.

2 Likes

I am not sure that I understand what you mean! even if I made it i <= size , it gives the same error. And whta’s difference between updating i with a 1 or the size value.

The updating with 1 was just an example. The point is that you are not updating i. To update a variable you will have to do something like i = size or i = i+size or whatever you want it to be. But you are only saying i+size which doesn’t update anything.

1 Like

Ops :smiley:I got it. Thank you man, you really helped. This was a nightmare for 2 days

1 Like

The loop control statement - the part in parentheses after the for keyword - is a notational convenience that allows three expressions commonly needed for looping to be written together - the three expressions still have to be valid statements on their own - e.g. an update to any variable in the third expression requires an assignment say i=i + 1 or i+=1 or ++i etc - the control statement only controls when each of the three expressions is executed relative to the body of the loop

This is fleshed out in the post below

1 Like

That help too.Thank you.