Privacy Policy and Rel. Documents

How did you get the Terms and Conditions, Privacy Policy, and Cookies Policy for your website? There are free generators, but the quality is dubious. This site looks credible, but the cost for all three documents (for my portfolio website) is $101. I’m guessing that’s more than most of us are comfortable spending on FCC projects.

1 Like

Wow. Great question, and one I’d never considered before. The “free” templates from most of these programmatically-generated termsheet services seem acceptable for general use. (i’ve checked out three, and since I’m the guy who reads these things every time, they seem fine.) Most of these “services” are charging to comply with GPDR and for specific data-collection in which you are engaging. While browsing google results for privacy policy generic, I found the following results: initially - mostly bot services to generate terms, later - the privacy policies for several major corporations or governmental bodies, and on the bottom of page 4 - a link from Hotjar explaining what to include for their specific tracking software. It seems that above-and-beyond tracking information requires software-specific inclusions, as this bot site explains for Google Analytics. So, I searched for what do you need to put in your privacy policy to use google analytics, and found Google’s own guidance on what to include for using their Analytics, and embedded in there, the EU-specific compliance guidance they give, which includes the following for data YOU collect:

You must obtain end users’ legally valid consent to:

• the use of cookies or other local storage where legally required; and
  • the collection, sharing, and use of personal data for personalization of ads.

When seeking consent you must

• retain records of consent given by end users; and
  • provide end users with clear instructions for revocation of consent.

Thank you for doing all that legwork. It didn’t occur to me that the services you use might have their own guidelines. I’m using Facebook, GitHub, and Twitter OAuth for authentication. I guess the next step for me is to see what they say about it.

1 Like

As I said, it was a great question and I didn’t know the answer at the time.