Problem regarding technical documentation project

I am not able to understand what user story#6 is demanding in the technical documentation project. Can anyone tell me?

https://codepen.io/shyamsharma/pen/ZEeOLRE

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_12_6) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/90.0.4430.93 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Build a Technical Documentation Page

Link to the challenge:

@shyamsharma, the user story says The .main-section elements should contain at least 5 code elements total (not each).

What that is saying that for all of the .main-section elements you have there should be a total of five (5) code elements.
For example if you have six (6) .main-section elements you don’t need to have five code elements for each of them. You just need a total of five. You can have all five of your code elements in one .main-section or you can have two in one of them, one in another, et cetera until you have a minimum of five.

Hope that helps.

Thank you for your help!

Can you please tell me that my use of lorem ipsum text is fair in developing the required project?

In programming circles, you’ll see a lot of conversation about (technical) documentation, in reference to explaining an API, library, project contribution, etc. Reading and writing good documentation is an important skill and doing this project about a code related subject gives you a good reason to go do some research about the tools you are learning to use.

You are saying that I should do proper documentation instead lorem ipsum. Is that correct?

You can do lorem if you want but that doesn’t help you much in writing a true technical documentation page.

I see your page is titled “C++ Documentation”. You can look up tech information regarding that language and have something brief to meet the user stories.
You can build your knowledge of HTML or CSS by looking up info (MDN docs is a good resource) and writing a tech doc on one of them that meets the user stories.

Bottom line, you can use lorem if you want but it’s an easy way of doing the project.

1 Like

I am stuck in passing the test for the code like when I decrease the size of the display screen the total passed shown is 14 out of 16. However, when I increase the size of the display the total passed is 15 out of 16. What does this imply? Can you help me with this?

No matter the screen size I’m seeing 14/16 tests passing.

When a test fails click the red button to see which test(s) are failing and text to help you correct the issue.

• Be sure and read more than just the first line of the failing message. The ability to read and comprehend error messages is a skill you’ll need to acquire as a developer. Ask questions on what you don’t understand.

The first failing test message says;

The .main-section elements should contain at least 5 <code> elements total (not each).
There are not at least 5 <code> elements throughout all of the elements with the class of 'main-section' : expected 0 to be at least 5
AssertionError: There are not at least 5 <code> elements throughout all of the elements with the class of 'main-section' : expected 0 to be at least 5

Do you understand why that is failing?
Hint (only look if needed)

1. List item

Do you have any code elements?

The second failing test message says;

On regular sized devices (laptops, desktops), the element with id="navbar" should be shown on the left half of the screen. It should always be visible to the user and should remain stationary. You may need to enlarge the viewport or zoom out to ensure the navbar doesn't scroll with the page content.
Left of bounding rectangle is not correct.: expected 8 to be at most -602.5
AssertionError: Left of bounding rectangle is not correct.: expected 8 to be at most -602.5

Do you understand why that is failing?
Hint (only look if needed)

Have you styled it so the navbar is on the left and the body is on the right?

I get the layout error when I make the browser window too narrow. The error says:

“1. On regular sized devices (laptops, desktops), the element with id=“navbar” should be shown on the left half of the screen. It should always be visible to the user and should remain stationary. You may need to enlarge the viewport or zoom out to ensure the navbar doesn’t scroll with the page content.”

This is telling you that you won’t pass this particular test if your browser isn’t wide enough. So just keep your browser wide and you’ll pass it. There is nothing you can do about this, that’s just the way the test works.

UPDATE: Should have paid more attention and checked to see that @Roma had already answered this one :slight_smile:

But I will add that I am getting a horizontal scroll bar when I narrow the browser, which is something you don’t want. You’ll want to use a media query to move the nav above the main content when the view port gets too narrow.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.