Product Landing Page V3.0 - Jewellery Page

snowmonkey is the user name for a fellow camper that post some very helpful advice he really knows his stuff

snowmonkey

Tobias Parent

1 Like

@snowmonkey

Hello snowmonkey Chris recommeded that I ask your help for this, and so I am doing :slight_smile::

When you will view my codepen on a mobile size, you will see that my menu has space on the top that is not wanted, I don’t know how to fix that. Any ideas? Please. Not sure if my menu is well coded too.

Thanks,
-Tech.

… And there goes the bus. Thunk-thunk! rofl

I’ve been tinkering with this thing, trying with relative units vs fixed (the “58px” thing is almost always going to be a problem), trying with grid/flex containers… and it’s weird. Doing much the same thing. Doesn’t seem to matter whether it’s a mobile or desktop, mostly a function of the screen width. The thing that seems to be killing is the auto adjusting height of the header container.

I’ll keep playing, now it’s bugging me. :wink:

2 Likes

it has me totally stumped

One thing I strongly recommend is a decent mobile emulator extension for chrome. This will allow me to display in a variety of sizes and formats, but still have access to all the Chrome Dev Tools goodness on my desktop.

For those who may not have worked with it yet, get familiar with the Chrome Developer Tools. If you open the menu in Chrome from a desktop/laptop, then choose ‘More tools…’, you should see ‘Developer tools’. There, you have a number of tabs: Elements, Console, Sources and so on. For what you’re doing here, you’ll want the Elements and the inspector.

This allows for the viewing of the HTML structure (in the left pane), and the CSS driving that (on the right). Not only that (“But wait – there’s more!”) you can edit that CSS and HTML live, right in the ‘Elements’ pane, and the display will automatically update. For what we’re trying to do here, we can see what is adding spacing (the margins on that image, for example), or what the effect of changes are, real time.

Neat thing is, when you are viewing this with the mobile extension I’d mentioned, the Developer tools STILL work, they simply open in a separate window, but they still update real-time as I’m tweaking CSS values!

1 Like

I am familiar with dev tools and I have set up a few mobile device screen ratios. Am I to understand that the extension linked also adds the extra feature of not just emulating the screen size but also the actual mobile browser app?

1 Like

Tinkering more to find out. At the moment, I’m on a flip-phone, so ANY mobile emulation is an improvement for me. :wink:

At a glance, it does indicate that it uses a “mobile user agent.” If you read the docs in the above link, it changes the response header to include the proper mobile agents. Neat.

Edit: That said, as a test case, I opened my gmail in the emulator – first it logged me out and, when I logged back in, it opened the desktop site in a mobile-size window. So clearly there’s bits missing.

Hey!

I’m familiar with the dev tools (most of the time I use firefox thought).

I’m not at home right now but I’ll work on it ASAP and come back with feedback about this issue. In the meantime, thanks a lot for this help! :slight_smile:

To finish, I got a question: what do you mean by "

"

I really don’t understand what I should get from that message here. Very sorry. If you could reformulate I’m sure I would understand (sorry my english fails me sometimes, I’m not very good at english).

Thanks again,
-Tech.

don’t feel bad your English is 100000% than my abilities with your native language (unless that is Spanish then I am a native speaker)

1 Like

Thanks. I meant my comprehension X).
I took spanish for 5 years at school your native language is awesome by the way. Hit you guys up again when I found something ^^.

• Tech.

So when we open a url in a browser, there is quite a bit going on behind the scenes. The url request also includes headers, telling the server about the browser environment. Among them is a user-agent, which hints to the server what rendering engine this browser might use.

1 Like

Ok. I kinda see. But was there a problem you wanted to tell me about regarding this?

Nah, that was about @ChrisCline1138’s question as to whether the mobile emulator was just sizing a window.

1 Like

Hey y’all! Just letting you know that I’m working on that problem of my the one named :“NOTE”.
Almost there but I’ll take a break and contact you guys back.

Thanks again,
-Tech.

Hello all!

I re-did my nav-container menu from nothing and fixed my “NOTE” problem (view above post for content). All I add to do is give the navcontainer a fixed height in a responsive unit (I used %) make sure my children of nav-container took 100% of the parent (I used a lot of flexbox lol) and then I made the nav ul on mobile and tablet absolute relative to nav-bar which took 100% height so i applied top: 100%; to nav-ul.

You can check the new CodePen here if it’s not clear: https://codepen.io/Tech_CA_Bro/full/mveBOe

I would love more feedback I changed a few things and I’m still working on some other people told me! :smiley:.

Thanks,
-Tech.

but now there is this going on

seems to be the width of your ul

yes that is it, changing the width to 100% from 400% did it

That is weird. I tried it and it doesn’t do that at all on my screen.

I replaced the link by a new one can you try again please? Tell me if it does it still or not.

ProdLandingPageV3-ByTech

WORKS :+1:

1 Like

Phew! I put the wrong link before! XD Thanks a lot man.
I have a question thought if you don’t mind :smiley::

When I shrink down the height to 500px I find myself with that:

Another example at 200px:

I really have no idea how to fix that perfectly but I did my best to make it minimally bad and I think I did fine. Like most mobiles devices won’t have less then 500px in height right?! So my question is really is it a problem is it negligibable at some point?

Thanks again!
-Tech.

That is the scroll bar, since you are sizing the window smaller than the page it automatically creates a scroll bar,
its a feature of the browser not a problem on your page

1 Like