Python Data Analysis Cert... error on first project

Tell us what’s happening:

I´ve completed the first project of Data Analysis Cert and when run the tests I´m receiving folowing error. (I tried this first into Spyder and worked ok):

======================================================================
ERROR: test_calculate (test_module.UnitTests)

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/home/runner/AmbitiousGreedyAfkgaming/test_module.py”, line 10, in test_calculate
self.assertAlmostEqual(actual, expected, “Expected different output when calling ‘calculate()’ with ‘[2,6,2,8,4,0,1,5,7]’”)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/unittest/case.py”, line 943, in assertAlmostEqual
diff = abs(first - second)
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: ‘dict’ and ‘dict’

ERROR: test_calculate2 (test_module.UnitTests)

File “/home/runner/AmbitiousGreedyAfkgaming/test_module.py”, line 15, in test_calculate2
self.assertAlmostEqual(actual, expected, “Expected different output when calling ‘calculate()’ with ‘[9,1,5,3,3,3,2,9,0]’”)
File “/usr/lib/python3.8/unittest/case.py”, line 943, in assertAlmostEqual
diff = abs(first - second)
TypeError: unsupported operand type(s) for -: ‘dict’ and ‘dict’

FAIL: test_calculate_with_few_digits (test_module.UnitTests)

File “/home/runner/AmbitiousGreedyAfkgaming/test_module.py”, line 18, in test_calculate_with_few_digits
self.assertRaisesRegex(ValueError, “List must contain nine numbers.”, mean_var_std.calculate, [2,6,2,8,4,0,1,])
AssertionError: ValueError not raised by calculate

Ran 3 tests in 0.036s

FAILED (failures=1, errors=2)

KeyboardInterrupt

Your code so far

import numpy as np

def calculate(list):

if len(list) < 9:

print("ValueError: List must contain nine numbers.")

else:
    array_1 = np.array(list)
    array_1 = array_1.reshape(3,3)  

mean = [(np.mean(array_1,axis=0)).tolist(),(np.mean(array_1,axis=1)).tolist(),np.mean(array_1)]
    variance = [(np.var(array_1,axis=0)).tolist(),(np.var(array_1,axis=1)).tolist(),np.var(array_1)]
    stdev = [(np.std(array_1,axis=0)).tolist(),(np.std(array_1,axis=1)).tolist(),np.std(array_1)]
    maxn = [(np.max(array_1,axis=0)).tolist(),(np.max(array_1,axis=1)).tolist(),np.max(array_1)]
    minn = [(np.min(array_1,axis=0)).tolist(),(np.min(array_1,axis=1)).tolist(),np.min(array_1)]
    sumn = [(np.sum(array_1,axis=0)).tolist(),(np.sum(array_1,axis=1)).tolist(),np.sum(array_1)]

calculations = {
        "mean": mean,
        "variance": variance,
        "stdev": stdev,
        "maxn": maxn,
        "minn": minn,
        "sumn": sumn           
        }
    return calculations        

Your browser information:

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/83.0.4103.116 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Mean-Variance-Standard Deviation Calculator

Link to the challenge:

Hello and welcome to the FCC community~!

For the third error, you’re using print to print a line. The test expects you to raise an error, instead. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks nhcarrigan! I found the way to raise an error! working with the other errors…

1 Like

Try calculating the total std() and var() NOT on the reshaped array (3x3) but on the flattened list. The results come out a bit different.
So, instead of having
np.std(array_1)
try
np.std(list).
It worked for me, hope it helps! :slight_smile:

Thanks alevanni! much appreciated…