Python for everybody but me apparently

In my spare time after work I’ve spent hours watching video after video listening to Dr. Chuck explaining loops, functions lists etc. Doing the exercises, answering the questions making you feel smart.
I was almost done with the curriculum but I made the mistake of looking at the first project. The arithmetic arranger and realized I have no clue on how to even begin to tackle this without the comforting Dr. Chuck giving me a hint on how one would approach something like this.

So my question is: how do you decide what the best way is to tackle such a project, how do you build it step by step?

I may have missed the most important video in this series on HOW to attack problems we are presented with.

if this is your first programming language, and you have never done something similar, you are actually learning two things at once: the language syntax, and problem solving skills. The video format is not the best format for that.

I suggest you start with something simpler, like the 8th and 7th kyu algorithms on codewars.com
do not look at the solutions, but look at the videos or python documentation if you don’t remember something, and ask for help on the forum if the research doesn’t help you

2 Likes

@ieahleen Thank you for the quick reply.

I’ve created some pretty neat stuff with powershell over the years (even created my own functions) but somehow it hasn’t “clicked” yet with python, no idea why :man_shrugging:.
People also telling my that powershell is more of a scripting language where python is a true programming language. I don’t know about that since PS is also objectbased.

Perhaps better to start with codewars then.

Here’s what my personal journey looked like:

I started at the beginning of 2020 with this video from the FCC channel (I recommend coding along when watching this).
I had pretty much 0 coding experience (so little, that I even forgot about it when I started).
After watching that tutorial I did some simple tasks from this website (this could be very helpful, as the tasks are rather simple).
I got to excersise 16.

After that I didn’t touch python for about 9 months.
Then I did the FCC certificate and it was relatively easy to do. However I did do the first three FCC certificates in the meantime, so that probably did help in terms of understanding algorithms and coding in general.

So if after following the tutorial and doing a couple of excersises it doesn’t click yet, perhaps go for the JavaScript certificate.

Hope this helped!

Edit: One major thing I forgot to add, which actually should be the main advice:

Start somewhere. Do some small part of the project. I remember, that at first, it also seemed quite tough to me, but after I started it became a lot clearer very fast.
So I recommend this:

1. Start with something small.
  2. If that doesn’t help, try some excersises from the website linked above.
  3. If that doesn’t help, watch the tutorial linked above.
    4a. If that doesn’t help, build more of your own projects using Python or
    4b. Go for the JavaScript Certificate
1 Like

Thank you @michaelmanke00 and @ieahleen for your kind words I will use your tips to continue on my long journey :slight_smile:

The challenges usually are quite the challenge indeed and require not just using what you have learned, but also looking further for tutorials and input.

Now if you just start out with programming, that’s quite a lot to do indeed.

When looking at coding problems, my first questions always is: What is my input, what is the desired output and what would I need to do to get from the one to the other, if I was doing it on paper myself.

Once I got that down, it’s mostly busywork of turning my actions into code… That’s if I know all commands I would use.

Then maybe some thinking about how different datastructures might help for better performance and whenever I get stuck, either ask here, or just figure out a way to put my problem into words to throw at Google.

And yeah, the major part is usuall Google, finding some example code, reading explanations, copy it to test and figure out what does what - until I am comfortable enough with it to use it in the project.

Ofcourse if you start out fresh, maybe try the Javascript course. That one has easy, step-by-step lections going through commands and logic and special functions AND it’s not just videos.

1 Like

been looking through the codewars website and like what I’m seeing! Puzzles in all shapes and sizes for all levels.
Thanks for the addition @Jagaya