Question with JS Function using map() and array with specific returns

I am super lost with JS at the moment… first time looking into this stuff and more than overwhelmed. If anyone could give me any pointers for this I would appreciate it.

* @instructions
 * The event director needs to have all the runners' first names
 * in uppercase because the director BECAME DRUNK WITH POWER.
 * Implement this function using map().
 * @param runners array of runners like the one inside the /data/runners.js file.
 * @returns an array with all the runners' first names in ALL CAPS.
 * The first names appear in the array in the same order the runners appear in the `runners` array.
 */
function firstNamesAllCaps(runners) {
    return runners[0];
}
``

Hi! :slight_smile: Have you tried anything so far? What hasn’t worked? I don’t think just plain giving you an answer would help you in the long run, so maybe you can start off by researching the .map() method a little bit (MDN and W3Schools are pretty good references, but you can google some more if you’re still confused). After this, you can attempt to do the exercise again or if you have some specific questions, we’ll be happy to help :slight_smile: Good luck!

1 Like

I was able to figure it out but I had to ask someone. Idk I kinda need a straightforward answer at this point… I have been very overwhelmed and no one giving me a straight answer when I’ve broken down over not understanding (JS in general) has been more than frustrating : /

Yes, I totally understand that this stuff can be hard and confusing, especially if you’re learning on your own. But the thing is - without asking a specific question, it’s hard to give you a straight answer, at least not one that would go beyond general information that you can find with a two-click search. In any case, I’m glad that you were able to solve the problem. Just don’t give up and we’re here if you get stuck! And trust me, it does get easier the more you practice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Definitely look at the functional programming section.

map is an example of a function that takes another function as an argument – called a “higher order function”. What it does is take a collection of things (an array in JS), and applies that function to every one in turn, returning a new collection where all the values in the original collection have been transformed (mapped) by the function. It is I guess a very weird thing when you’re barely familiar with programming. It’s declarative, so rather than writing a loop and doing things in the loop, you just say to the computer “here’s an array, here’s a function. Please run the function on every one of the values in the array, I don’t care how you do it”.

You have an array of numbers, and you want to multiply them all by 2.

numbers is a list of numbers
doubledNumbers is an empty list

for every number in the list of numbers:
  put (number × 2) into the doubledNumbers list

So

const numbers = [1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6];
const doubledNumbers = [];

for (let i = 0; i < numbers.length; i++) {
  doubledNumbers.push(numbers[i] * 2);
}

Make that into a function, so that I can use any lost of numbers instead of just the one there:

function doubleNumbers (numbers) {

doubledNumbers.push(numbers[i] * 2);
  }

return doubledNumbers
}

Now I can do for example doubleNumbers([10, 20]) and that will give me [20, 40] back.

I maybe want other things, like sometimes triple numbers, or quadruple numbers. So now, take the .push(numbers[i] * 2) bit. I could write a function for the doubling.

function double (number) {
  return number * 2;
}

And use it like

function doubleNumbers (numbers) {

doubledNumbers.push(double(numbers[i]));
  }

return doubledNumbers
}

But as I say, I want to be able to do other stuff. So let’s just hand the doubledNumbers function that double function:

function doubleNumbers (numbers, doubleFunction) {

doubledNumbers.push(doubleFunction(numbers[i]));
  }

return doubledNumbers
}

Now I can do doubleNumbers([1,2,3], double) – I’m giving it that double function I defined. But that could be any function. So let’s change the names. It isn’t doubling numbers if I give it a triple or a quadruple or a square function for example, so doubleNumbers is a bit of a daft name. Let’s call it map.

function map (array, func) {
  const outputArray = [];

for (let i = 0; i < array.length; i++) {
    outputArray.push(func(array[i]));
  }

return outputArray
}

array is now any array. func is now any function. Handily, JS provides this out of the box:

myArray.map(myFunction);
2 Likes