Questions regarding getting experience, networking and chingu.io

Hello there freeCodeCampers, I have a couple of questions for you regarding getting experience and networking.

About getting experience and contributing to non-profit; After researching I found out about chingu.io and it seems great because it is an opportunity to collaborate, gain experience and also networking, but if I am not mistaken it can take a while until they fit you in one of the projects.

So what is your experience with chingu.io? Is it really good for collaborating, get experience working in a team and also networking?

Are there another good alternatives out there to collaborate and work for a non-profit?

About networking and making connections; At the moment I live in the middle of nowhere, and it is basically impossible to go to meetups, so I would like to know what would be the best possible solution for that when you can not go to meetups.

Is chingu.io again a good alternative for networking and making connections as well, as you will be working in a team with other devs?

Could you recommend other useful resources or give me an idea to where I could be networking with other devs?

At the moment I am dedicating myself to web development full time, and I am building the Responsive Web Design Projects, and also studying the basics of JS; I plan to start collaborating very soon to gain experience and job hunt.

My experience with chingu so far is great!

I mean, they make all the efforts to create team and to give you the tools to afford that journey, and they can give you support if you’re having trouble with the team presence.
That said, once the team are built, you’re on your own: it’s your duty to create the project, collect ideas, provide docs, specs, plans / deadlines and so on ( they provide good examples though). An awesome first step to start working in a ‘team’ ( composed by other guys as you usually, so does not expect a super well-formed plan to follow or similar :stuck_out_tongue: )

About the networking, i think that when people speaks on that topic it doesn’t really mean something like chingu: i’ve always seen suggestions like meetups, conference, public events, etc … so i wouldn’t consider it as ‘alternative’, rather a good addition! ( and of course as something , if you’re unable to join those kind of group events )

1 Like

Chingu sounds very valuable! Do you think it is also good for resume padding? If so, what stuff would you be able to add to a resume after doing a project?

Can’t wait to try this out. Does anyone know how big the teams usually are?

what stuff would you be able to add to a resume after doing a project

You will train git coop and soft skills. It doesn’t mean you become a guru but it is indeed an opportunity to practice those skills, something not so easy to do without a work or a tiny group of devs^^

how big the teams usually are

4 people^^

Are there another good alternatives out there to collaborate and work for a non-profit?

FCC is a no-profit you can start to contribute to :smile: