Quick question if your bored

Guys I’m really curious about how you got into programing.
For me it all started from with an interest in how computers work.
Its been quite a journey even though I’ve barely begun :smile:.
Anyway I’m wondering how it works with most people, do they randomly decide to start learning to code or has someone recommended it to you :thinking:

Always curious, Starstruck.

1 Like

I’m not sure how it works nowadays, but I can tell you that as a kid growing up in the 70s and 80s, when the first computer games were starting to come out, it was the coolest thing ever and I got hooked immediately. And then when my parents brought home our first computer all I wanted to do was learn how to make my own games on it. I think I was around 12 years old at the time. I remember buying a book on basic programming for the Apple IIe. The first game I made was an attempt to recreate the RPG Car Wars so my brother and I could battle against each other. I got it so that we could each control a car with the keyboard and fire at each other. The graphics were very basic, but it worked, at least to my satisfaction. And I remember we would play it while listening to Gary Numan’s Cars. So that’s how it started for me, wanting to make my own computer games.

P.S. I should add that it also helped that I was born a boy and was lucky enough to have parents who could afford to buy a personal computer. Not that sexism and economic inequality don’t still exist today, but back then they were huge factors in determining who had the opportunity to get into computer programming. I only knew one other friend who had their own personal computer at that time. Even by the time I graduated from high school, most people I knew did not have their own personal computers. And in my entry level 200 CS courses in college, some of which had over 200 people, maybe 20% of them were women. If I didn’t have those advantages back when I was younger I probably wouldn’t be typing this right now.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.