Random Quote Generator API questions

Hello,

I’m looking forward to starting the RQG project tomorrow.

I have some questions before I start.

1. What if I’d like to use my own quotes? For example, I’d like to create an API with personal quotes or jokes from my friends.

Would I have to create an API? Would it be better to just create an object or array withing the project? I’ve used Scrimba and it has access to creating files, but code-pen doesn’t seem to have an area to create and store .js files.

1. Is there a way to get access to a Facebook API for messages or posts? For example, I wanted to randomly quote posts from my friends?

2. All of these projects are on codepen, but I understand learning Git is pretty important too. Are there any other ways to create apps or web designs other than Codepen you can recommend?

Thanks a lot for any replies.

I feel pretty confident with using React, a little redux, JS, CSS and HTML, but when it comes to accessing APIS and how to setup and environment for actually creating things I feel a little helpless.

1 Like

Hello!

1. Yes, you can. You’re not required to build an API, in fact, the project just reads a JSON file from github, so you could fetch that file or any other you want (https://gist.github.com/).

2. It’s possible, but it may be harder depending on how much do you know about interacting with an API, plus all the time it would take to read through the facebook documentation. That said, if you have the time and you’re willing to learn, then do it :slight_smile:, since that would help you on the future.

3. One way to do this specific project would be using zeit.co (now it’s called vercel) and github. You publish your projects to github and setup zeit to pull the code (maybe build it for production, setup any dependent services, etc.) and it will server your front end. You could combine this with glitch.com to build a back end if needed (the problem with this is that glitch needs to be waken up). An alternative to glitch is heroku, which may help :slight_smile:.

I hope this helps :slight_smile:,

Stay safe and happy coding!

1 Like

Wonderful. Thanks so much for your reply.

1 Like