React Calculator : feedback

Hi everyone !
Finally I have completed my calculator project, and I m excited to hear your notes.
Thank you in advance!
React_Calculator

Hi @houc.bh90,

• General comments:

• Why did you use classes and not functions? I’m not saying that is wrong. There is a reason to not use functions?

• Your project has no comments, and because of that is really difficult to grasp the “shape” of your solution.

• Inputs

• Your project at the moment can’t parse (handle) this input:

I tried determine why, but I had some limitations:

• I don’t know how to debug code in codepen
  • I couldn’t determine the state of the program (because I didn’t executed the code)
  • Because of the lack of comments I had to assume some elements of the program ("." is a number, a string or a special type()?)

So, this is more or less a guess:

input: 0.00

line 47 zero, 0, typeof number? (There is no comment about this)

state input next side effects
initial? number handleNums 0 (line 113)

line 46 decimal, “.”, typeof ?? (There is no comment about this), line 79

? “.” handleDecimal 0. (line 167)

? number handleNums .0 (line 113)

? number handleNums .0 (line 113)

Why (replace) ?

crntN: this.state.crntN.replace('0','') + i,

This is a video of the process:

Cheers and happy coding :slight_smile:

1 Like

My guess would be because that’s what the FCC module on React uses?

I see :+1: .
I find functions easier to use in React(easier than classes).

Wow you are awesome @Diego_Perez. I will fix my code and get back to you asap, Thank you very much!

• Why did you use classes and not functions? I’m not saying that is wrong. There is a reason to not use functions?

I know that if the component will just render elements the function will be the shortest way, I guess it is just a habit or maybe like @bbsmooth said.

• Your project has no comments, and because of that is really difficult to grasp the “shape” of your solution.

Well I think I underestimate them but when I started adding comments now I realize how sample my code is and I also found out that there is two unnecessary values in the component state, and there was a lot of “bugs” with the negative handler.

• Your project at the moment can’t parse (handle) this input:

Why ( replace ) ?

I used replace as a fast solution to stop the user from inputting many zeros but it ruined everything (now 0.1000, 1.000, 0.000 works great)

Check out my last adjustments, I used Github pages. React-calculator

Thank you for your time, your notes were very helpful.

Hi @houc.bh90,
Sorry for the delayed response, I have not been able to connect.

I see :+1:

I’m glad it helped :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi houc.bh90,
A few comments here and there would go a long way for reviewers to follow the logic and make suggestions., especially (1) when there is an appreciable number of lines of code (2) there are so many ways to implement the calculator logic.
Just saying…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.