React wizard workflow

Hi Everyone,

I’m seeking advice or guidance on how to implement a feature on a website.

1. I have web experience but no react and node. js at this time

2. I’m looking for the simplest way to get a feature implemented that I believe would use react and node.js to create a “wizard” workflow, to help users find the answers they need based on the previous question or option they chose.

A good reference might be better.com

1. I am limited with time to spend on learning from scratch. Can anyone suggest the quickest way to solve this need. Is there a place I can find a template that I can build from? (Interested in this since workflow is not completely known)

4). How you would solve? Training for me would happen during enhancement process.

Any advice or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for your time and help.

Leo

“I have web experience…”

I’m not sure what that means. Does that mean you are an experienced web developer? Does that mean you spend a lot of time on youtube?

As far as “the simplest way to get a feature implemented that [you] believe would use react and node.js”. The simplest way would be to pay someone to do it. The other way would be to spend months working on React and node. (That would be a quick ramp up and assumes that you have some programming background.)

Training for me would happen during enhancement process.

This scares me a little. If you have no React background, building a production app is not the best way to do it. This is not easy stuff - that’s why developers get paid a lot of money. If someone could casually pick it up as they did the work, it would pay minimum wage.

I don’t know if there is a “template”. What is more likely is that someone has created a library that does the logic for you. But that is going to take some research and probably some POC work.

Hi Kevin thank you for your reply.

I used to develop websites using php, MySQL, HTML/CSS, JQuery, JavaScript.

I was a Java programmer analyst for over 15yrs. I understand technology and distributed environments. There is an understanding of programming concepts, web concepts, db concepts.

I have dabbled with Wordpress, creating a custom theme. I learned to use use existing code snippets to enhance as needed, learning from what was in place, to get what I needed done.

I have moved out from developing but am thinking that implementing what I would like takes a bit of work and could get pricey.

I am looking for ideas on how to re-use an existing solution and go from there.
I guess I could search GIT but with my limited understanding of React, other than it is based on ES6 JavaScript, I guess I’ll do more research.

Don’t be scared, fear holds people back from doing things. What would be the worst thing from attempting to learn from a template? I see it more as focusing your energy on the task at hand while avoiding going down some rabbit hole, learning other topics that may not apply at the moment. Better yet, it’s another way of learning that may not agree with your style. A form of hacking

In any case, I really appreciate your feedback. I think I’m in agreement to either pay for a module or search for a library on GIT, or go through the whole learning process (not my first choice)

If anyone has other suggestions on how they can quickly ramp up on a new solution using tech they don’t know, I would love to hear from you. It happens when your working in a team trying to get things done. At least I hope it still does.

Thank you

I guess I could search GIT but with my limited understanding of React, other than it is based on ES6 JavaScript…

It’s a JS library library for building user interfaces. It’s not accurate to say that it’s “based on” ES6, but it does use a lot of ES6. But considering that ES11 has come out, at some point ES6 needs to just be considered part of standard JS instead of its own category. ES6 is just modern JS.

I am looking for ideas on how to re-use an existing solution and go from there.

Right, but you’re also asking us to find the solution. I don’t specifically know of anything that does that. I think you need to spend a lot of time googling keywords for this and checking npmjs.

Don’t be scared, fear holds people back from doing things.

Sure, on one hand it keeps people from trying shwarma. On the other hand it also keeps people from picking fights with gorillas.

I see it more as focusing your energy on the task at hand while avoiding going down some rabbit hole, learning other topics that may not apply at the moment.

That sounds a lot like the “I don’t want to learn anything I don’t think I need, just teach me the bare minimum I need to play this song and nothing else,” I used to hear from my guitar students. Those guys never lasted.

Better yet, it’s another way of learning that may not agree with your style. A form of hacking

To me, hacking is someone really knowledgeable, finding different ways to do something. That does not sound to me like what you are describing. To me it is more analogous to someone needing a watch, not knowing how watches work, but looking at the photographs of the insides of a few and deciding to build one from scratch. I think you are underestimating the difficulties here.

React is a strange and complex system. I would not advise building your production level app as your first app. I would no advise trying to “hack” an existing app. There are too many things about React that are nothing like anything you’ve encountered so far. I would recommend taking a little time and build some basic apps and get familiar with React so you know what you are getting into.

Is there a reason why this would need to be React? Why add a level of complexity if it isn’t needed? I would search to see if there is a JS library that already does what you want and implement it with one of the techs you already know.

Alternatively, you could build your own logic (and that can be pure JS). I’d have to think about what that would entail, but I assume there is some tutorial out there.

Hi Kevin,

you made me crack-up laughing with some of your comments. Good ones.

What i know about React is that it’s better than Angular, closer to standard javascript which allows you to build on improving those skills instead of learning variations in other framework/libraries that would be unique to them. Performance and speed based on the virtual DOM. it is a web based app, self contained, taking advantage of browser tech enhancements. I believe there are SEO issues but I’ve seen workarounds for that.

The idea that React can also be used to create a mobile application is worth it for me. Don’t get me wrong, I know i need to learn. I’m just interested in getting something out sooner than later, and continue building from that.

in the past, i would spend so much time trying to figure out what technology to use, pouring in on research and taking much longer to complete things. At times, you would say i went through analysis/paralysis, concerned that the technology i was picking might not last or be the popular (since that is where you get support) and i’m trying to avoid that here. React has been around for quite some time, it’s maintained, and used by big companies with a big community

i don’t know if I’d say “better”. It is true that React depends more on the dev being comfortable with JS.

The idea that React can also be used to create a mobile application is worth it for me.

That of course would be React Native, which is kind of like a flavor of React. While it is not exactly the same as React, if you know React well, you are 95% the way to understanding React Native.

I say all this as a React and React Native developer. I think they are great libraries with a great future. But I also think they take some work to get your feet wet and work in a way different from what you’ve encountered before. Additionally, there are many satellite libraries like redux, saga/thunk, redux form, etc. that are commonly used. I am a fan of React and recommend learning it. I just think you’re underestimating the time and headaches involved.

Thanks Kevin,
I’m glad to hear you are a fan of it.
I am not underestimating the learning I’m just trying to limit it, if possible. Besides, which programming language doesn’t come without it’s headaches? lol…

I really appreciate your time and feedback, based on your experience.

Perhaps, but then I think you’re dividing it up wrong. If you want to learn SCUBA diving, first you learn the most basic skills. You don’t say, “I want to learn to nighttime deep cave dives first to get some experience - I’ll fill in the basics later.”

But good luck to you. Let us know how it turns out.

Lol… I love your analogies.

Years as a teacher, years as a teacher…

1 Like