React wrong lesson text?

Tell us what’s happening:

Why must the correct solution have the class render a div with the ID that is supposed to be used with the ReactDOM.render later? It says nothing of having to use the challenge-node id in the div inside the class, only that it’s supposed to be a normal div

**Your code so far**

// Change code below this line

class MyComponent extends React.Component{
constructor(props){
  super(props);
}
render(){
  return(
        <div id="challenge-node">
               <h1>My First React Component!</h1>
        </div>
  );
}
};
ReactDOM.render(<MyComponent/>, document.getElementById("challenge-node"));
  **Your browser information:**

User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/89.0.4389.128 Safari/537.36.

Challenge: Write a React Component from Scratch

Link to the challenge:

the challenge instructions say

Render this component to the DOM using ReactDOM.render() . There is a div with id='challenge-node' available for you to use.

My point exactly. It says that the component is to be rendered in the div with the id of challenge-node using ReactDOM.render() - it does not say that inside the component that a div is to be used and have the same id (challenge-node). Yet I do not get the lesson approved unless I add the class of “challenge-node” to the div inside the component:

Its render method should return a div that contains an h1 tag with the text: My First React Component! in it.

The quote you embeded implies the div with id of challenge-node is available for use with the ReactDOM.render (for the componenent I am making withe the p-tag inside the div-tag to be injected inside), not that it should be added as a class to the div inside the component I am to render into the div with that id (Inception style).

weird, you should not have two elements with the same id

would you mind reporting a bug?

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.