Recommendation system

I want to make a website which can Recommend the movies. And, I don’t know how to code this part in backend. Could anybody tell me how can I proceed myself?

Firstly, welcome to the forums.

While we are primarily here to help people with their Free Code Camp progress, we are open to people on other paths, too. Some of what you are asking is pretty trivial in the Free Code Camp context, so you might find that if you’re not getting the instruction and material you need in your current studies, the FCC curriculum will really help you get started. I think that spending some time working through the curriculum here will really pay off. You can find the curriculum at https://www.freecodecamp.org/learn.

With your current questions, we don’t have enough context to know what you already know or don’t know, so it is impossible to guide you without just telling you the answer (which we won’t do).

It is pretty typical on here for people to share a codepen / repl.it / jsfiddle example of what they have tried so that anyone helping has more of an idea of what help is actually helpful.

Please provide some example of what you’ve tried and I’m sure you’ll get more help.

Happy coding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Adding to Ariel’s response; After giving us more context about your question think about the fact that a recommendation algorithm is really nothing different than any other logic in back-end.
if you already know the library and programming language you want to use for your desired recommendation system algorithm all you have to do is to put that in a function and then call that function to get the desired results.

That said there are a lot of stuff you need to do to ‘clean’ your data and normalize it before giving result to the front-end but from the high-level view it’s just like any other logic you add to your back-end.

Good luck! :call_me_hand:

Sounds like you need:

1. a database to store a) user, and b) movie information
  2. server functions that have the algorithms that control what movies will be recommended

or possibly you could do 2) in the browser

I am learning NodeJS and that might be worth exploring. If you learned how to use MongoDB/Mongoose, that could be your database. You can also do whatever functions you want in Node. You could set up a RESTful API to handle the interaction between your frontend and backend.

I’m currently going through the NodeJS course taught by Andrew Mead that covers these topics. I think someone who knows frondend and goes through that course would be able to do the things I describe above.