Record collection solution not working in fcc interface

Hi! i’m stuck at record collection problem in basic javascript course, but my solution works flawlessly in the chrome console. The problem goes as follows:

Basic JavaScript: Record Collection

You are given a JSON object representing a part of your musical album collection. Each album has a unique id number as its key and several other properties. Not all albums have complete information.

You start with an updateRecords function that takes an object like collection , an id , a prop (like artist or tracks ), and a value . Complete the function using the rules below to modify the object passed to the function.

• Your function must always return the entire object.
  • If prop isn’t tracks and value isn’t an empty string, update or set that album’s prop to value .
  • If prop is tracks but the album doesn’t have a tracks property, create an empty array and add value to it.
  • If prop is tracks and value isn’t an empty string, add value to the end of the album’s existing tracks array.
  • If value is an empty string, delete the given prop property from the album.

Note: A copy of the collection object is used for the tests.

Your code so far

var collection = {
  2548: {
    albumTitle: 'Slippery When Wet',
    artist: 'Bon Jovi',
    tracks: ['Let It Rock', 'You Give Love a Bad Name']
  },
  2468: {
    albumTitle: '1999',
    artist: 'Prince',
    tracks: ['1999', 'Little Red Corvette']
  },
  1245: {
    artist: 'Robert Palmer',
    tracks: []
  },
  5439: {
    albumTitle: 'ABBA Gold'
  }
};

// Only change code below this line
function updateRecords(object, id, prop, value) {
  if (value.length == 0){
    delete collection[id][prop];
  } 
  else if (prop != "tracks"){
    collection[id][prop] = value;
  }else if (prop == "tracks"){
    collection[id][prop] = [];
    collection[id][prop].push(value);
  }
  return object;

}

updateRecords(collection, 5439, 'artist', 'ABBA');
----------------------------------------------
// running tests
After updateRecords(collection, 5439, "artist", "ABBA"), artist should be ABBA
After updateRecords(collection, 5439, "tracks", "Take a Chance on Me"), tracks should have Take a Chance on Me as the last element.
After updateRecords(collection, 2548, "artist", ""), artist should not be set
After updateRecords(collection, 1245, "tracks", "Addicted to Love"), tracks should have Addicted to Love as the last element.
After updateRecords(collection, 2548, "tracks", ""), tracks should not be set
After updateRecords(collection, 1245, "albumTitle", "Riptide"), albumTitle should be Riptide
// tests completed

Challenge: Record Collection
Link to the challenge:

function updateRecords(object, id, prop, value) {
  if (value.length == 0){
    delete collection[id][prop];
  } 
  else if (prop != "tracks"){
    collection[id][prop] = value;
  }else if (prop == "tracks"){
    collection[id][prop] = [];
    collection[id][prop].push(value);
  }
  return object;

}

You have object being passed in, but then you do your work on the global collection and then return the object. When I fix that, all but one of the tests are passing.

5 Likes

thank you a lot, i thought i could do that since, in this case, object is always collection !!

Yeah, in the context of what is given, it shouldn’t matter - because you are just passing in a reference to the global object - any changes to one should change the other. I assume the issue is that in the test, they are passing in a different object. So, you are changing the wrong object in your function.

1 Like