Regexp username

I do not know why the | operator is not working as I expected. My line of reasoning is the following:
We have to start with a letter and end with zero or more digits. We can accomplish this using the regex ^[a-z][a-z]+[0-9]*, but this regex does not account for the possibilities where we have the second character as a digit, so we have to include that in another regex combining the two with an OR operator. The second regex should also match what starts with a letter and should have the second character as a number that could extend but when it is only one character this would fall so we need to include another digit character so I use the regex ^[a-z][0-9]+[0-9].

So what is wrong with the code?

Your code so far

let username = "JackOfAllTrades";
let userCheck = /^[a-z][a-z]+[0-9]* | ^[a-z][0-9]+[0-9]/i; // Change this line
let result = userCheck.test(username);

Challenge: Restrict Possible Usernames

Link to the challenge:

First of all, those spaces you have around the pipe are causing you grief. Spaces are treated as a character, they are not ignored, so you need to get rid of the one before the pipe since usernames cannot have spaces in them. The one after the pipe I don’t think is causing problems since you’re using the caret but I would remove anyway.

After you remove these spaces you’ll be down to two errors. My hint is that you are doing a good job of using the caret to define the start of the match but perhaps you need to define the end as well?

Thanks a lot. My real issue was the spaces. I included the dollar sign character in the thinking process but forgot to type them out.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.