Respnsive Web Design syllabus

What languages ​​are necessarily useful to be a good Responsitive Web designer ?

Assuming that you don’t really mean “designer” (that’s someone who creates a layout, not the one who codes the website):

First of all you need HTML and CSS. Then, to add interactivity to your website, JavaScript. The freeCodeCamp curriculum is a very good place to start. because it teaches all that.

Thank you @jsdisco ! I follow the course so I would like to be more reassured

Is that really Responsive Web Design? I thought that CSS and CSS Responsive Web Design were designed to eliminate the need for JavaScript. Of course interactivity is not part of that. So is JavaScript required for Responsive Web Design? I am trying to learn Responsive Web Design and what I need it for would be easier using just JavaScript and HTML so perhaps Responsive Web Design is a waste of time for that.

There seems to be some misconception about what Responsive Web Design is. It doesn’t mean that a website responds to user input like a click on a button, but that it responds to different browser window/viewport sizes. If you open up a responsive website with a desktop computer and a full size browser window, you’ll see a different layout than someone who opens that website on a smartphone in portrait orientation. To achieve this responsive behaviour, all you need is CSS. In rare cases, you use JavaScript, because it can detect window resizing in real time.

But CSS can never eliminate the need for JavaScript, because JavaScript has a whole different purpose. It adds functionality to a website, meaning that a user can not just look at a page, but can also interact with it through click/hover/drag+drop etc. None of that is possible with CSS (with few exceptions, but those are mostly considered hacky).

To sum it up, JavaScript is not just required specifically for Responsive Web Design, JavaScript is always required, if you want your website to be more than just static information (like a Wikipedia page without any buttons to click on).

Yes I think the word responsive is misleading. There are many confusing names in computer software. If my understanding is accurate enough then it would be more appropriate to call it dynamic web design, not responsive.

Originally HTML was an application of SGML (see the standard at Hypertext Markup Language - 2.0 that says HTML is an application of SGML). SGML is a word-processing format. HTML version 2 did not have CSS and it did not have scripts (no script tag). Originally HTML was static and incapable of any interaction except Hyperlinks (links) and forms were the only interactivity possible.

JavaScript is (usually) client-side. It executes in the browser. Descriptions of website interactivity should include server-side programming. The forms tag in HTML version 2 allowed programs to be executed in the server; they were and are called CGI scripts. Current server-side languages such as PHP and C# use CGI technology to execute.

That is getting off-topic. The important thing is that CSS is designed to add style to Web documents; that is how the standard at Cascading Style Sheets defines it. And HTML Responsive Web Design defines Responsive Web Design as being about using HTML and CSS to automatically resize, hide, shrink, or enlarge, a website.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.