Responsive Web Design Updates

If I get stuck, how do I ask a question? Im in the first lesson trying to change an image into a link using the href attributes. Im stuck.

Keep clicking on the Check Your Code button and sooner or later you will get an Ask For Help button that will help you submit your question to the forums.

ok, ill try it. thank you.

I have another question, I just finished watching 4 hours worth of youtube and I finally solved 14. I dont understand what step 15 is asking. Ive looked throught the forum, but I cant find. Thank you for your help.

You are better off asking questions with your specific code instead of watching video walkthroughs. The Ask For Help button will let us give you specific feedback for your code and help us clarify any parts of the instructions.

2 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Cat Photo App - Step 12

Are there any plans to update the other courses too?

Yes, further updates are in progress.

Hey!

I wanted to share with you a quick bug I think I have found:

In the module titled learn typography by building a nutrition label, on step 62 (and a few before), you add information about the vitamin contents, etc. You cannot have a space between the lettering i.e:

Pass:

Calcium 260mg20%

Fail:

Calcium 260mg 20%

Though the next step reverts the change to the fail criteria anyway.

Cheers :slight_smile:

Thank you for helping make FCC better. Bugs can be reported as GitHub Issues. Whenever reporting a bug, please check first that there isn’t already an issue for it and provide as much detail as possible.

hello fellow michigander. No worries if you need to start over. It would be good practice. In this field, this kind of stuff can happen more then you know. As the saying goes we are to become and will be professional google researchers. practice, projects, pratice, projects, lol. and lastly, always learning, and research for mistakes over and over again. just giving you a little honest humor.

Hello there,
I want to thank you for these updates but frankly, the real goal of teaching is missed! As an academy or a learning community you shouldn’t neglect the bottom up processing , a learner must be able to be exposed to the cognitive awareness of the objects but due to lack of sufficient instruction and the background knowledge of learners the learning process couldn’t be happened.
For example in step 13 : Turn the image into a link by surrounding it with necessary element tags. Use https://freecatphotoapp.com as the anchor’s href attribute value.
is an imprecise instruction to the ones who don’t know how to do it ! or what’s that for !

I understand a little here of your reply. Yes I agree in support of the community. Step 13 is after other coding lessons, to follow the flow of learning. If the instructions are read correctly, you can see in the sentence. Element tags are instructed earlier, and what they are. the href attribute and anchor are the elements. the value is the link on the instructions. It takes time as I replied to allow someone to get these type of names of the code to flow correctly. I also as
stated to her is to ease her mind of mistakes and bugs, and not to give up. Many people get stressed and just feel they cant grasp it. Not everyone is a bill gates or a Mark Zunkinberg, and just be able to get it so easily. I am not replying to argue or go against anything you said. I also have had people, be negative and treat me like im not aware of things i should. What I did say about practice project over and over was on purpose and true. The rules on here are changing to design new coders to follow sending there code a certain way to help aslo them get how the career be.

Really Excited for the new web development curriculum!

I copy what it says in the answer wrong box then paste into a search it will bring up this forum usually of the thread from someone that already had it answered. I’m finding I make spelling errors so now I copy paste anything it tells me to add, the check spaces and dots. Remember the more mistakes you make you will learn from them don’t get discouraged because it’s in making them you learn how to do it. Mistakes make you more aware. I do the course a second time if I have trouble. I take my time, I’m not in a rush and I want to learn the right way not just get through it.

Not sure if this would be considered a bug or just general feedback, but I’m going through the cat photo app project to give the new RWD cert a try (I’ve been doing the legacy one).

With the Preview window, it seems to refresh with a white flash. I’m have to use dark mode, and I have photosensitive triggered seizures. The rapid refresh of the preview is like a flickering light, and it’s uncomfortable to have onscreen as I’m adding new line items.

I know I could just not have the preview window open, but then, it sort of makes learning as I code difficult as I can’t see changes as I make them. I don’t have this issue with codepen, or other coding website previews, so I’m thinking it’s something to do with the way the new cert platform is coded.

Is there a way to have it not flash when refreshing?

(If this would be better sent as a bug report, let me know so I can move it.)

Hello there,

Any flashes are definitely not intended behaviour. So, if you are willing, please open a bug report at Issues · freeCodeCamp/freeCodeCamp · GitHub

I suspect this will be difficult to reliably resolve; in the past, I have looked into this for my own projects, and never found a solution that worked for all cases of DOM changes - sometimes a hard refresh is required.

Thank you for mentioning this.

Hey Sky

I think I worked out the problem. I have to use Dark Reader and Night Mode on my pc. Dark Reader is causing a load conflict issue with the default white background of the previewer.

Is there anyway the previewer in Night Mode can be changed from white? The whole reason I use Dark Reader is because staring at white screens is really painful for me, but it creates a conflict, and my code won’t read as correct, or I get the refresh flickers.

Night Mode isn’t really night mode when half of my screen is blinding me like the midday sun.

the projects do not change between dark and night mode. The freeCodeCamp dark mode doesn’t interfere with the tests, but as you said, the background is white. Dark reader, when css is tested, can cause interference, because often the tests test the css rendered in the browser, which Dark reader changes. Would you maybe be able to deactivate it long enough to run the tests?

Could you maybe do a bug report/feature request on the issue tracker on GitHub? We want that freeCodeCamp be accessible, and your feedback can be invaluable to help with that.

1 Like

​Dear @ilenia

The news part would be useful to me in dark mode as well, sometimes I need some breathing space and visit the forum or news section while studying at FCC. Would you mind if I requested that on GitHub?

1 Like