Responsive Web Design Updates

Thank you! Happy to know that you have this section, it is already being translated correctly, thank you!

2 Likes

New curriculum lack practice questions after each course (little courses before cert projects).
It is easy to forget info after going through the course, so it would be great if there will be tests which test you on everything you can learn from each course.
I.e. questions like

• What element is used for creating links?
  • What semantic element is used for grouping related content?
  • How to make some input fields to be must-have to be able to submit the form?
  • How is displayed by the browser by default?
  • How inline elements are displayed, if they are placed on different lines in the code?
  • How to emphasize the text?
  • What is the difference between article and section elements? What is the button element default behaviour?
  • How to associate input element with it’s text input?
  • How to target all the elements nested in elements with specific class in styling?
  • What should we do if selected custom font-family is not available, how to prevent it?
  • And so on
    Majority of questions should ask about little concepts, things etc (instead of “What are all attributes for input element” ask “what attribute is used to clearly show which radio button is choosen?”), without naming them (so you won’t be able to guess the answer from the question words). And some questions should test you on group of concepts (like “what are all the attributes of img element?”) after answering the “little questions”
    Tests on everything like this are extremely helpful at showing gaps in the knowledge and repetition-memorization.
1 Like

I don’t know, half of those is stuff I Google regularly if I have to deal with html/css

The freeCodeCamp curriculum is not there for you to memorise all the concepts, I don’t think adding a quiz thing is appropriate

1 Like

I am talking here not only about html/css, but about everything in general, including JS,Python etc.

In the short term, you are right: why would you want to memorize all these concepts when you can just google them and just program? We are not studying a university subject here and we are not going to take an exam on any of these. Looks like a waste of time, yes?

In the long term, there are some problems with that logic.
But firstly, let’s differentiate concepts from the details:
Concepts are information that you can install in your head, connect with existing knowledge and build up on it bigger knowledge and use that information. Basically, when you learn, you create a net of concepts in your head.
Details are atoms of information that could not be well connected to anything you know, to anything you learn. Those details are either unimportant/unrelated or so complex that it is not worth memorizing them, unless you really need to.

So as an example question: How to make sure that page looks the same on all devices?
Here we have 2-3 concepts and 1-2 details. If you don’t remember concept of meta element , concept of attributes, you won’t be able to solve this problem (without googling).
Full answer is <meta name=”viewport” content=”width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0”>. But you don’t have to remember all of that. Mainly, you have to remember that <meta> element should be inside <head> element and it should have attributes name and content. Values of attributes are details that are not important in learning the subject.

So the answer to the question would be something like “nest a meta element in the head with name and content attributes”. Chances are, you will simultaneously remember the details even without memorization of them.

Now back to

“The freeCodeCamp curriculum is not there for you to memorise all the concepts”

Yes, The freeCodeCamp is to help us learning the subject. And what is learning? It is gaining skills and knowledge. You can’t be effective without good knowledge. Why? There is fundamental problems: switching attention actually exhaust you. You often switch attention even on googling => you become more tired. Second is our working memory. It is heavily limited and it is heavily used in solving problems process. When you don’t possess some required knowledge and trying to solve complex problem, your working memory gets filled with remembering attempts, with attempts to reinvent some required concepts etc. which is not helping you to solve the problem but just wastes your energy. In order to bypass this working memory limitation, you have to possess knowledge, you have to remember concepts and their connections.

Well-made tests are one of the easiest methods to create somewhat good info frameworks in your head. Well-remembered framework of concepts loads into working memory as a single unit (so it is not overloads it) almost instantly and you can quickly come up with the solutions even if you don’t remember details.

Curriculum already has very light version of it: repeated tasks. You memorize by practicing several times same thing. Though it is working, it is not very good in building connections, and that leads to the need of increased repetitions (that\s why people asked for more repeated tasks).

Btw thanks to this questions method i remember almost everything from several math subjects - after 2 years i can quickly reproduce almost everything, and this is without rote memorization. So, yes, taking such a test may look very energy consuming at the begining, but after 2-4 full repeats of the test you won’t have to memorize almost anything, time saving is incredible.
There is much more to say but i think this post is already too big lol.

In conclusion, such a test should not be required to complete the course, it should be purely optional for those who want to remember something special, find gaps in knowledge or to reinforce overall knowledge.

If you want you can use this: https://developerquiz.org/, it’s one of the projects managed by freeCodeCamp, but it’s still not something part of the main curriculum.

I can create such tests for me personally if I need
What Im talking about is creating them for others
https://developerquiz.org/ is good at first glance though you can’t track hard-for-you questions or remove unimportant-for-you questions, also giving answer options worsens the effect of recall in most cases which leads to the need of increased repetitions.

the freeCodeCamp curriculum is intended to be an interactive curriculum where you can practice coding. It seems you want something like Anki, which is not part of freeCodeCamp direction.

2 Likes

I have asked for help but no one is helping me

Help isn’t instant. We’re trying to figure out what’s wrong.

I am a new learner, should I start with a new RWP or legacy RWP

I really like fcc but can you update JavaScript and the rest like you did with the responsive design

Further updates are in progress.

1 Like

Nice…the fcc site doesn’t seem to be working on my laptop… is it cause of the updates or it’s at my end.

Best regard. Thank you very much for the incredible service you provide. Really freecodecamp is a wonderful place to learn to program Software. I am very grateful for this (New) Responsive Web Design. Unfortunately it is not as clear as the Legacy was. The Text editor console with the code and messages mixed up is completely unreadable. It is very sad that they have implemented it. In the other courses there is a workspace with 3 windows, one for the messages, another for the code and the last one for the view. Please is it possible to implement the latter in the (New) Responsive Web Design? I thank you for understanding my words, I do not want to make anyone feel bad. A hug

I would almost certainly guess it is on your end. We would need more specifics as to what you mean by “doesn’t work”. I think it would be best if you opened up a new topic in the forum to get help.

Okay… it works on my phone but it doesn’t on my laptop … it keeps on loading when I click on get started

Please start a new topic for this.

1 Like

It’s working now. I was told to clear my cache

I had almost the same questions, but yesterday I found out after I already had started the new curriculum that my old/previous progress from a year ago was still available.
I decided to continue my current progress as in time everything will add up and join the same path. Exercises and practice are never too much, as practice makes improvements. <3

1 Like

Hey freeCodeCamp developers,

Just wanted to say that I’ve been working through this new curriculum the past month and have found it pretty amazing. I did just get to something that may have been out of place though. In the module on “Learn CSS Flexbox by building a photo gallery”, there are few new items that pop up that are described as well in the directions like when you would first have to code something new. The *{ } selector thing and #gallery (mostly just the # in CSS) aren’t explained in the module like it assumes you already know them (that was my first place I encountered them). It actually isn’t hard to get past those parts in the module though b/c there are enough directions where you can code past it (I think I got the #gallery one in my first try). However, on part 20 it wants you to do @media stuff in the CSS that is more complicated. I did google search how to set it up (and that may have been the intention was to have the user research how to do that so if that is the purpose you maybe can ignore this post), but it was this part led me to think that maybe the Flexbox module was re-positioned in the curriculum with the update.

Anyway, just wanted to point it out. Overall though, I’m loving everything on here I’m seeing! Everything y’all’ve put together is quite remarkable.

-Dale