Resume - Portfolio advice (Searching for a new job)

First of all thank you for taking the time to read this post. :smiley:

I am currently employed as a web developer and love working with my team, but I code maybe 10% of the time. I have learned an extraordinary amount about T-Sql thanks to a supervisor I work with and I am thankful for that. When I do get to code it consists of building simple web forms. Most of the time I manage existing web forms, assign roles / permissions for a document management system, and provide customer support.

Hence why I am searching for a new job.

I have been searching for a job for about four months now. I had one interview that was kind of bummer. The title for the job was a front end web developer, but it turned out the work would be 100% in a system they built (no JavaScript, basically custom HTML components with a mountain of attribute tags).

Searching for a new job is such a drag… and many other words I won’t write down. I feel like I speak with hundreds of recruiters and seem to be talking myself out of the job because I have a huge issue with impostor syndrome. I am an introvert, but I am working on getting out more.

Anyway, I was wondering if you could provide some feedback / advice on my resume and portfolio. Thank you in advance and I appreciate any and all feedback.

Portfolio: FarajDaoud.com

1 Like

Might be a good idea to open up your LinkedIn and turn on let recruiters know you are open to opportunities option. Also looks into hired and angelist where it’s a reverse job board where company look for talent.

Portfolio looks solid, and you have experiences that a lot of people here do not. I would maybe put my project in the order of most complex and impressive to less, so that people can be Impressed right away

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback. I believe I do have LinkedIn turned on I will double check. I will start my search on hired and angelist. I will rearrange my projects.

It reads very similarly to some sort of an expanded CV, with the addition of personal interests and projects. Not sure if I like it.

I’d strip it down a bit, keep only what’s necessary and useful for the potential employee.

Example:

The only important thing here is the point - you keep yourself up to date in the tech industry.

= You love how programming is ever-evolving industry and lets you get into the inner workings of things, helps you solve common problems and take on new challenges.

You get the idea.

These things are not necessarily “going away”, you’ll probably still discuss them at an interview, AND you probably want to have something to discuss. So don’t lay it all out on your portfolio.

2 Likes

Thank you for the advice. I will remove the section about keeping up to date in the industry.

Hi Faraj,
Portfolio looks nice. I suggest fixing the nav linking so that the section heading isn’t hidden by the fixed nav bar (use a buffer div or top margin, etc).

You are already ahead of me in having a dev job, but I’ve fought many battles with my resumes over the years :slight_smile: I agree with the comments so far. You want your personality to come out, etc but only after being crystal clear about what you are good at and what your goals are.

I’d suggest making that Summary section a lot stronger with specifics. Pick your 2-3 top skills (or the top ones you want to work with) and really emphasize those in that initial introduction of who you are. What makes you unique so that they will want to hire you? Many recruiters and HR folks won’t ever read past that paragraph if you don’t grab their attention.

hth!
Steve

1 Like

Thank you for the advice! I will work on that nav now. Thank you for a hint on how to fix it as well. You are right I need to rethink the summary section. I appreciate your time.