Retrying for a position I got rejected for

Hi, maybe 18 months ago I applied for a bootcamp thing. You spend 3 months training, and then they would hire you as a junior dev. When I applied, I got an interview with a recruiter who I felt was obviously hostile, I felt from the start that he didn’t like me. I got a rejection, for reasons I felt the recruiter totally made up. He claimed that a personality test he interpreted showed that I didn’t have the social competency toh work as a dev, when I asked for suggestions on how to improve and what that meant he couldn’t elaborate at all. I also asked my friends who work in tech about these skills, they were as dumbfounded as I was.
The recruiter that I interviewed with left the company a couple of months after my interview. If he got fired or if he left of his own volition, I don’t know.

The important thing to take away here is that the reason for my rejection wasn’t related to a lack in technical skills.

I also applied for another position with the same company, where I meet a recruiter totally lacking in profesionalism. He tried to convince me to apply for a totally unqualifed position in order for me to “get a foot in the door”.

Since I got the rejection I have had two different concurrent jobs where the main goal is to explain to people of all ages how to do things (one position as a math and science teacher working with children ages 13-16, the other position is on-site tech support working with consumers), I have recieved numerous accolades from both jobs. I think beeing able to teach “complicated” things to rebelious teenagers combined with beeing able to handle angry customers with non-working technology shows that I have the social skills needed to work as a dev, n.b. I am not arguing that this is a proof of technical skills, just that I think that the recruiter made an erroneous claim about my social skills.

What would you do in my situation?
Should I reapply and claim that I have gained a lot more experience since the last time? Should I give up on this company and look for other jobs?

They’re hiring people for three months training at what I assume is a wage somewhere between very low and none (or are they charging for the bootcamp??). I assume they can fire those people at any point. And there’s the vague promise of a job at the end. And they’re using personality tests to hire. What is it that makes you want to reapply here? I’m either misinterpreting something, or there’s some serious upside here that you’re not mentioning, because what you’ve described so far seems to be almost wholly bad.

There is no wage during the training period, but they don’t charge for the bootcamp. You sign a contract to work for them for 2 years after finishing the bootcamp, unless a company pays them to recruit you. I hope that makes it clearer. Wage is not super high, but it is competetive for a dev who “formally” only has 12 weeks of training.

What happens if you break the contract, ie you leave before 2 years?

You have to pay a fee.

What a surprise! I do get the attraction, and peeps need jobs, and whatever, go for it if you want.

But the whole thing is like an illustrative example in some pamphlet deriding “The Evils of Capitalism”, it’s almost comical. It smells so bad, everything you’ve said is a red flag

1 Like

I don’t really see what options I have. I have tried to apply for other jobs, and they have all ended the same. The ads sound like they are desperate, the interview all makes it seem like they are desperate and then suddenly after the interview they decide to cancel the recruitment. Last month I applied to a job where the ad made it sound like they would accept just about everyone who had seen code previously. I learned after having been ghosted for weeks that the company had decided to freeze the hiring of juniors.

I know, that’s how it works. There are lots and lots of people desperate for jobs, they’ll never be short of applicants. You obviously need the job, so reapply.

Yes, what you are saying is totally true. But what am I supposed to do instead? All my attempts at job hunting so far have ended i failure.

That’s pretty much the deal I had with Revature, although I didn’t get a personality test ever. I am no longer in the loop, so I don’t know how they do things now, but I am skeptical that personality assessment is part of the company process.

The 2 years thing is actually more or less fungible. If a client likes you, they can buy out your contract, so that instead being paid through Revature, you become the official employee of say Goldman Sachs for example.

I know a few people that were bought out after a year. A few of us got our contract transferred to a new tech firm which does not enforce the contract if we applied to leave, only holds us to the noncompete clause we signed.

Some of these questions are best address by the recruiters or the recruiters’ boss if you can find a way to contact him or her. I’d suggest maybe do more research on LinkedIn, see if anyone with previous experiences with the same company can give you more clarity on the situation

I still think the personality quizz is BS. But that is the game they play.

I’d agree. I do believe it would do you more good if you ask this question to the people that cites this particular company and bootcamp as part of their professional experience on LinkedIn. People won’t always answer strangers, but some people are helpful and will help better inform you on your decision

I thought you were probably talking about Revature. When I was browsing front end developer jobs I was seeing a bazillion from them. Looked into it more and it didn’t sound as promising. I especially didn’t like how you might have to be relocated and have to promise to be okay with that upon applying.

It’s not a US company. And I get to pick where I want to work (from a set of available cities), the only demand is that they can ask you to work up to an hour away from that city.

You seem like a polite and professional person.

People often make mistakes when judging others so probably the recruiter made a mistake about you.

I hope you will go to another interview where people will be impressed by your skills !

It’s definitely a YMMV thing. The relocation is a must of companies like them because they have set clients.

As a person that didn’t have a CS degree or experience other than self-learning, it is definitely a fast track for me, but from what I understand, I was also fortunate enough to basically get the best possible experience. I passed my interview and placed with a company immediately after training, my contract was bought out immediately and I was working as a developer rather than QA or DBA. Essentially I stopped having to deal with Revature right after they trained me.

It is not a thing I’d recommend CS grads that were career conscious during their college career, but if you are struggling to find jobs as an outsider or having trouble putting everything together on your own, it is not a bad alternative.

I should also add that the last time I applied I only had references from volounteering activities. This time I have references from jobs that have paid me money.

Another Red Flag I thought of is that you aren’t guaranteed a dev position. They can send you on other IT related jobs as well. But I looked up previous cohorts on linkedin and everyone I looked at seems to be working as a dev.

I think they’re absolute scumbags (as companies go), but it is a way into the industry, so :man_shrugging:

I would agree, had I had a strong array of other choices I would stay clear. But the array is shrinking rapidly.