Return Largest Numbers in Arrays - change the row of numbers into an array

Return Largest Numbers in Arrays - change the row of numbers into an array

Hello everyone,

in this task I managed to go that far. I’m not sure if you can see that, but the function logs correct numbers: 5, 27, 39, 1001.
The problem is: they are not an array. I tried different methods like Array.from() or includes() but either they are not suitable for this case or I don’t use them correctly. It feels like I miss one little step to the solution. Am I on a right track?

Your code so far

function largestOfFour(arr) {
  // You can do this!

for (var i=0; i < arr.length; i++) {
    console.log(arr.concat(Math.max.apply(null, arr[i])));

}
}

largestOfFour([[4, 5, 1, 3], [13, 27, 18, 26], [32, 35, 37, 39], [1000, 1001, 857, 1]]);

Your browser information:

Your Browser User Agent is: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/61.0.3163.100 Safari/537.36.

Link to the challenge:

From my understanding, you are currently concatenating (adding) the highest value from each array within array back to the array.

From my observations, you will probably need to create a temp array outside the loop and push the highest value from each array to that temp array (Math.max.apply(null, arr[i])). Once the loop is finished you can return that temp array. This means that you don’t need to use the concat method in this problem.

I hope that somehow helps.

The concat function does not change the existing array called arr. The concat function returns a new array which you could assign to another variable.

Thank you very much for your reply.
I realized I pasted a wrong code. This is the code that gives right numbers, but they are not an array. So I got to the point that you suggested, but I am not sure, I understood what you mean regarding the temp array. Could rephrase this?

function largestOfFour(arr) {
for (var i = 0; i < arr.length; i++) {
console.log(Math.max.apply(null, arr[i]));
}
}

largestOfFour([[4, 5, 1, 3], [13, 27, 18, 26], [32, 35, 37, 39], [1000, 1001, 857, 1],]);

Create a variable before loop which is initialized to an array.

Inside loop push to that array what you are doing with the console.log.

After the loop, return that array.

thanks again. that worked indeed!