Road to be an amazing Frontend Developer

Hi!

I’ve been working with HTML & CSS since 2017 creating WordPress themes, but I want to improve my skills. During all these time, I’ve notice that I’m failing in 3 major points and I’m looking for learning resources to become a pro Frontend Developer.

My major problems are:

1. No scalability & optimization knowledge.
    First, I don’t know how to order my CSS styles in an efficient way to improve the amount of code I use in each page. Each project, even if it’s simple, has at least 3000 lines of code (basic as a blog) and I’ve been trying so hard to optimize this and not to repeat too much code, but I’m not achieving it.

Second, I’m not able to make projects scalable. When I want to add a new element, I just add the CSS code above the footer in a space called “Components” (that it could be called just “Others”, but Components sounded a bit more serious). I’m talking about this 2 poins here because I think they are related.

2. No reuse of code
    I don’t know how to reuse code, not only in the same project (similar elements) but also between projects (use X structure from X project to Y project, after modifying it a bit). This also can be related with having no idea about where to store that code to use it easily (For example, to have something to see my X header templates, my X button templates, my X single.php templates, my X page.php templates…)

3. More basic knowledge
    As I said, I need to learn a lot. I only know pure HTML, pure CSS and the WordPress files hierarchy and some WordPress php functions. I want to learn SASS, JavaScript, jQuery, React, Ajax… Well, common things a pro Frontend Developer need.

Can freecodecamp help me to achieve this 3 points? Just with a simple lookup on the web, I’m 100% sure that it will help me a lot with the 3rd point, but I’m also a bit desperate to improve the first 2 points too.

I have my eyes set on FrontEndMsters and CodAcademy too, but I’ve started with freecodecamp because it looks good, straight forward (maybe a bit too much) and it’s free.

I’m also open to recieve book recommendations or other resources to complement the things I’m learning here.

Thank you so much for reading!

Can freecodecamp help me to achieve this 3 points?

Sure it can.

I’m 100% sure that it will help me a lot with the 3rd point, but I’m also a bit desperate to improve the first 2 points too.

Yeah, your third point is dead center in FCC’s wheel house. Let’s take a look at the others:

No scalability & optimization knowledge .

I think a lot of this will come from experience. You learn to do these things because you must do them, as your projects get larger. So you seek out other people’s ideas. That, and certain tech’s make things easier - for example, I find it much easier to scale using things like React and Sass than I ever did with vanilla JS and CSS.

No reuse of code

Again, I think it’s kind of the same answer. I don’t know about the WP word, but this is something you just learn as you do “real” coding.

I have my eyes set on FrontEndM *sters and Cod* Academy too,

I had to laugh a little at the misspellings. Were you worried about getting flagged for mentioning them? It’s not a biggie.

I’m also open to recieve book recommendations or other resources to complement the things I’m learning here.

Yeah, FCC is not comprehensive. It makes a great framework for learning, but you will need to look other things up. And in the “real” coding world, “looking things up” is something we need to do all the time, anyway.

1 Like

Yes, the misspelling were to avoid the post to get removed or something hahaha

Then, let’s FCCing! I hope to have my problems solved in a year or two.

I’ll try my best!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.