Roman Number Converter Solution

After some time of over-thinking (during my pseudo-coding process), finally started coding out pieces of my pseudo. And worked out repetitive code. The code has limitations because of the hard-coded data in the object, but it works up to 3999. I think I’ve found a to limit hard-coding, but so far here is my attempt. All feedbacks are welcomed!

function convertToRoman(num) {
  /*
    ONE major drawback with this code is the HARD-CODED data to convert number into roman numerals. This would require extra work to add conversion combinations for HIGHER numbers (i.e. 4000, 5000...10,000 - 50,000...500,000 - 1,000,000)
  */
  const arabicToRoman = {3000: 'MMM', 2000: 'MM', 1000: 'M', 900: 'CM', 800: 'DCCC', 700: 'DCC', 600: 'DC', 500: 'D', 400: 'CD', 300: 'CCC', 200: 'CC', 100: 'C', 90: 'XC', 80: 'LXXX', 70: 'LXX', 60: 'LX', 50: 'L', 40: 'XL', 30: 'XXX', 20: 'XX', 10: 'X', 9: 'IX', 8: 'VIII', 7: 'VII', 6: 'VI', 5: 'V', 4: 'IV', 3: 'III', 2: 'II', 1: 'I'}; 
  const baseOfTens = [1000, 100, 10, 1]; //array to break the number into Thousands, Hundreds, Tens, and Ones (ex. 1987 - 1000, 900, 80, 7)
  const baseNum = []; //stores the broken down numbers from baseOfTens
  let romanStr = ''; //holds the converted numbers to roman numerals
  let modulo = 0; //used to capture and reuse 'remainder' to break down numbers

if (num != 0) {
    for (let i = 0; i < baseOfTens.length; i++) {
      //breaks down inputted argument into thousands, hundreds, etc...starting where-ever baseOfTens is less than num
      while (baseOfTens[i] <= num) {
        modulo = num % baseOfTens[i];
        num -= modulo;
        baseNum.push(num)
        num = modulo; //re-assigns num to modulo - so num is continued to be broken down into smaller numbers
      }
    }
  }
  //converts the pushed broken down numbers to matching roman numeral values
  for (let number of baseNum) {
    for (let key in arabicToRoman) {
      //the '+' (plus sign) prepending key variable converts the string object key to a integer. Same as Number('stringValue');
      if (number === +key) {
        romanStr += arabicToRoman[key];
      }
    }
  }
  return romanStr; 
}
convertToRoman(3119);

Hi @mtvhn !

Welcome to the forum!

I added spoiler tags to your solution for those who have not worked on the project yet.

This topic was automatically closed 182 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.